Is it going to snow? 2012 - 2013 snow thread

The council are useless, more concerned with being politically correct than providing essential services such as gritting roads and emptying bins.

Chesterfield Council has never been the same since Tony Benn retired.

Edited by Stan Tamudo

Maybe they are waiting until it stops in the morning. It's pointless clearing it and gritting if more is going to fall and cover it up again, and there are going to be more people wanting to drive to places in the morning than there are right now.

They've been gritting all day. There isn't a road from the town centre to up here in the wilds that hasn't been gritted in the last 48 hours.

my car has been showered in grit three times today while working/driving in south of sheff. bins got emptied only a day late... in my opinion sheff council aren't doing a bad job at all.

On my travels round sheffield today i've seen plenty of Grit Wagons out and about. The Roads have been gritted !

I can only speak for the road I live on, and the gritter has been down every day without fail for well over a week including tonight, spreading plenty of grit but the snow has still settled. I'm not a great fan of the council, but come on, the gritters aren't a magic solution to the snow???!!!!

My blue bin on the other hand,has not been emptied and our road HAD been clear for 4 days, lol

You must have a Labour Councillor living on your road. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Not a gritter in sight? Have you been sat watching the road all day? The buses are still running, up near me anyway and the main roads are passable.

I don't know what people want from the council, they're not magicians and I think they've done well compared to last year.

Yeah the roads aren't great, but very heavy snow in only a couple of hours is going to do that.

Guest sibon
weather forecast gave plenty of notice about todays snow yet the traffic is crawling along and not a gritter in sight..council say we are a city on the move even in bad weather....cant wait to see there response to the roads being white...

They will blame Government cuts for not being able to afford the Diesel for the Gritters.

The council are useless, more concerned with being politically correct than providing essential services such as gritting roads and emptying bins.

well i think amey have done a great job of clearing the snow and the gritters have been up and down all week and i have even seen a tiny gritter for the side roads well done lads keep it up

I agree Miss P.

I've just been out and about, there are plenty of gritters doing their job.

I've just driven down to Hunters Bar from the Dore Moor Inn. No problem really.

There are some right whingers on here. This time, their council bashing is poorly aimed.

The councils in South Yorkshire have done very well keeping the roads clear this year. As others have said without plenty of traffic around as the snow is falling your just not going to stop it. Now all they can do is plow and then grit the main roads, moving traffic should deal with the rest tomorrow. Then they can start working on the side streets.

Or if the weather forecast is correct the temp will raise tomorrow and melt it all by Sunday.

So again... the council have done very well so far, stop your bleeding moaning. You could not do better, I bet you have not even done your drive / road in front of your house have you?

maybe the traffic " is crawling " because people see a snowflake and dash to their cars to drive home, you only need one person on a stretch of road that doesn't feel confident driving in snow and brakes most of the journey , then it holds everyone else back causing the crawling traffic,roads are quieter at this time also, so snow will settle quicker, all common sense to understand really! it's not all down to the gritters. Winter weather eh!!

Not a gritter in sight? Have you been sat watching the road all day? The buses are still running, up near me anyway and the main roads are passable.

I don't know what people want from the council, they're not magicians and I think they've done well compared to last year.

Yeah the roads aren't great, but very heavy snow in only a couple of hours is going to do that.

Totally agreed - they are doing a decent job in testing circumstances - I'm amazed that people are saying they've seen no gritters etc - some folk will blame the Council for anything though

Well just got home from work. Left work at 10.20pm, roads atrocious even main roads, penistone road, bradfield road, through hillsborough to stannington road, had to abandon car at bottom of stannington road! Gutted. If a car hadn't have got stuck in front of me, I think I'd have made it! Ok maybe not lol. The roads are hellish. Take care everyone

Totally agreed - they are doing a decent job in testing circumstances - I'm amazed that people are saying they've seen no gritters etc - some folk will blame the Council for anything though

I have seen one here in Rotherham. Had its snow plow out.