Four cyclists killed in car crash

I really feel for this driver and for all the cyclists involved.

To me this does sound to be a tragic accdientI read the driver was going at the correct speed for the road. Spotting black ice is not easy if it's an isolated bit of ice and the entire road isn't icey.

If I was that driver I am not sure how I would mentally cope and continue my life. I am sure they will have thoughts of wishing they'd died instead.

Speed in unsuitable road conditions may have been a factor, - but if ice was the cause had the road been gritted ? Given that that stretch of the road is a 'notorious black spot for accidents' it should have deserved extra attention from the LA.

The inquest will reveal all I expect.

When there are deaths involved like this we want to blame someone, but the full facts will only be found from the investigation. Maybe the driver was driving with excessive speed for the conditions - and maybe he wasn't.

I used to drive 50,000 miles a year as part of my work. I drove with consideration for my life and others, but still managed to skid on black ice once in a place I would never have expected it (at the top of a hill on a dry, sunny, but cold day). I spun round completely twice, left the road and went into a wall backwards and was totally uninjured. I narrowly missed a big lorry coming the other way so could easily have suffered myself, but if there'd been any cyclists or pedestrians around I dread to think what would have happened.

Sometimes we're lucky, sometimes accidents are just accidents and sometimes drivers are to blame. Whether the driver in this case is to blame or not we don't know yet, but it's a burden he'll carry for the rest of his life, however our main sympathy should be with the loved ones of those that were totally innocent in this.

Originally posted by PENGUIN

I'm sure a huge part of the driver died along with the cyclists. Its already been said by investigators speed was not the cause of this but nature was. I hope the driver has better support through this than what you guys have shown.

I would say speed was the major factor in the cause of this crash plus the road was also icy, the police say the driver was going at something like 50mph, now to say that isnt excessive speed given the road conditions at the time is stupid.