Which local brewer produces the best beers?

You can choose your best Sheffield Brewery at The Magna Beer Festival. You can do this by trying the different Sheffield beers that we have. :love:

I like Wentworth WPA. Also Sheffield Brewery's Seven Hills and Five Rivers down at the Gardeners.

Edited by gluedtopc
forgetfulness

I Have to agree with DerbyTup about Buxton and Thornbridge, not often you see Buxton around here though but i have had a few of their bottles from time to time. If we're staying regional I would like to nominate Acorn in Barnsley, I particularly like all the recent American hoppy beers they've been making and Barnsley Bitter and Barnsley Gold are two of my favorite regulars.

They all have my favourites,Blanco Blonde,Bradfiels IPA,Easy Rider,Absolution and I also like The Glentworth ales but thats Donny,Had a couple of bottles of Thornbridge wild swan and for 3.5% thought it was really good.

Another vote for Bradfield Brewery from me.

They do some crackin seasonal specials, and the quality and price at the brewery tap is spot on.

I Have to agree with DerbyTup about Buxton and Thornbridge, not often you see Buxton around here though but i have had a few of their bottles from time to time. If we're staying regional I would like to nominate Acorn in Barnsley, .

If we go to the 30 mile radius suggestion, the Steel City loses to the Huddersfield Breweries imo, most notably Magic Rock. Summer Wine and Rat are also very notable.

Some interesting opinions though!

btw, Broadfield have some Buxton Blonde on at the moment. :)

We`re blessed with some very reputable ones in the Steel City, but which produces the best real ale in your opinion? :huh::help::huh:

Every one of the breweries will have a head brewer who has done his or her up most to produce the best brew they can.Due to the very nature of real ale each batch will be slightly different to the last one , so every drinker will have their own "best" depending on when they last supped it. The last time i attended a beer festival after two hours we couldn't care less which beer tasted best,the hangover lasted all the next day a great day out.

It's a tough call because most of the local breweries do at least one beer I really like.

Bradfield do Sixer, which is one of my favourites, but for some reason they don't push it as hard as their other beers. Belgium Blue isn't bad either, but that's about it from them.

Abbeydale Absolution and Black Mass are nice pints, but I've never really got on with Moonshine.

Pale Rider from Kelham Island is always a winner and I've also had a few other decent beers from there, so as Sheffield breweries go, they'd probably edge it.

If we're looking a little further afield, then Thornbridge wins it hands down:

Jaipur - The best IPA and my favourite beer

St Petersburg - The best stout I've had

Raven - The best pint I've had this year (at Dada)

Halcyon - Up there with the best high strength hoppy beers

Not to mention Kipling, Jaywick and a few other excellent brews.

Acorn also do some decent beers......Magic Rock I'm yet to properly experience (I've had one that tasted like Kipling).

Regards

Doom

Within the boundaries of Sheffield I'd have to say Bradfield Brewery. They produce excellent stuff on a consistent basis.

The Brew Company and Steel City both produce some good stuff, but they've both also produced some that I haven't enjoyed. Steel City inparticular can veer from making really outstanding stuff to undrinkable drek. The Brew Company "Showdown IPA" is the best beer I've had so far in 2012 for what it's worth.

Just outside Sheffield we have Acorn, who are probbably my favourite brewery at the moment. Raw Brewery in Stavely are also very good. And then there's the likes of Buxton and Barlow already mentioned.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

The Little Ale Cart brews are very consistent but only for those who like their beers pale and hoppy.

Little Ale Cart are also good for trainspotters who like to argue over the pictures of steam engines on the pumpclips.

If we go to the 30 mile radius suggestion, the Steel City loses to the Huddersfield Breweries imo, most notably Magic Rock. Summer Wine and Rat are also very notable.

Some interesting opinions though!

btw, Broadfield have some Buxton Blonde on at the moment. :)

I have never seen any Summer Wine Beers in Sheffield unfortunately but have frequently found them on days out to York and Leeds. I would agree they are an excellent brewery, Rouge-hop is a favorite of mine! If anyone sees any SW beers in Sheff be sure to post on here and let me know please!

Little Ale Cart are also good for trainspotters who like to argue over the pictures of steam engines on the pumpclips.

Off out for some of Richard's medium sh** soon :thumbsup: