Speed awareness courses

Some cars and drivers aren't capable of doing 70 safely, but we seem to manage.

I agree that 80 might be a good idea:

- if it didn’t consume a huge amount of fuel over and above 70

- if drivers were capable of or committed to space retention, if they weren’t sheep-like in “following the leader” (too close) with no clear vision of the “bigger picture” ahead and beyond the daisy chain of vehicles ahead

- if drivers spent any time physically checking their tyre pressures

- if drivers knew what tread does and at what point in tread wear it stops

working

too many ifs for me and the technology on modern cars doesn’t outweigh the disinterest, ignorance and sheer stupidity of (some? many?) modern drivers.

These are all aspects of road safety that do not get the attention that they deserve.

There is a place for speed cameras and spot checks,but what we have lost from the past is the presence of police traffic officers,which are nowhere near as numerous as they used to be.

It is all very black and white now whereas patrol vehicles could differentiate between excessive speed and marginal infringements,as well as checking tyre treads and the general roadworthiness of vehicles.

But the presence of an effective police force is another argument.

Police have more pressing issues to worry about than checking tread depth on peoples cars.

Sad reality of police cuts.

Hi

I just wanted to post on the off chance that it is seen by someone for whom it will be useful:

I received a letter around a week ago about a speeding offence, 36mph in a 30 zone (crosspool). I expected to get a letter offering a speed awareness course (I haven’t ever had a ticket before). The letter I received only gave the option of paying the fine and taking the points. The contact number on the letter didn’t work.

It was very difficult to find any other number for the department and after much scouring of the internet, when I was about to give up and pay the fine, I tried a number from a questionable forum but finally got through. The lady explained that their is an issue with their computer systems, meaning people aren’t being offered the course where they would usually be eligible.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

The number I finally got through on is *01709 832456‬ (South Yorkshire)

Ps. I know I’m in the wrong for speeding- before anyone feels the need to remind me :)

Perhaps 36 in a 30 is not considered a minor offence,

or you have already been on a course in the last 3 years?

I know someone with a similar issue, however they did get offered the course when they rang up about it.

Now the unusual thing is the offender is 73 and as tight as a proverbial ducks A%*& with money. Why he'd rather pay ÂŁ100 to keep a clean license is beyond me.

I know someone with a similar issue, however they did get offered the course when they rang up about it.

Now the unusual thing is the offender is 73 and as tight as a proverbial ducks A%*& with money. Why he'd rather pay ÂŁ100 to keep a clean license is beyond me.

You might as well pay ÂŁ100 and keep a clean licence rather than pay ÂŁ100 and get points as well...

You might as well pay ÂŁ100 and keep a clean licence rather than pay ÂŁ100 and get points as well...

I thought the fine was less than ÂŁ100,so my bad - but seriously at 70 odd how many more years will it matter for if he has 3 points.

Hi

I just wanted to post on the off chance that it is seen by someone for whom it will be useful:

I received a letter around a week ago about a speeding offence, 36mph in a 30 zone (crosspool). I expected to get a letter offering a speed awareness course (I haven’t ever had a ticket before). The letter I received only gave the option of paying the fine and taking the points. The contact number on the letter didn’t work.

It was very difficult to find any other number for the department and after much scouring of the internet, when I was about to give up and pay the fine, I tried a number from a questionable forum but finally got through. The lady explained that their is an issue with their computer systems, meaning people aren’t being offered the course where they would usually be eligible.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

The number I finally got through on is *01709 832456‬ (South Yorkshire)

Ps. I know I’m in the wrong for speeding- before anyone feels the need to remind me :)

Did you get offered a course?

I thought the fine was less than ÂŁ100,so my bad - but seriously at 70 odd how many more years will it matter for if he has 3 points.

I think ÂŁ100 is the minimum nowadays..

Yes was offered the course when I called, which is why I thought I’d draw it to people’s attention that it is worth the call!

Yes was offered the course when I called, which is why I thought I’d draw it to people’s attention that it is worth the call!

Handy to know, thanks!