Speed awareness courses

If they had loads more unmarked police cars to catch speeders, instead of a large box painted yellow at the side of the road - they might catch a lot more.

If I"d got pulled by a police car, he most likely would have had a quiet word in my ear, with the cameras you"ve no chance.

I went on the speed awareness course, morning session, afternoon session was fully booked up....I counted 30 people all paid £90.. £2700. same again afternoon, that's £5400 for the day, 2 instructors to pay.... theres 100s of centres around the country, at least dick turpin wore a mask.

obviously not the sharpest pencil in the box, are you. The road traffic fatality rate in the UK has more than halved in the past 40 years and it is now at almost the very lowest level, that it is anywhere in the world.

British roads are safer, and fewer per capita people are killed on them than they are in countries like Germany, Japan, and Norway, countries that you might think of as being safer and where it is less risky for people. Only Sweden, of all the world's 200-odd countries, and that is a very big field, and only by a tiny little bit, beats the UK. There is a lot of reasons why UK roads are among the very safest, anywhere in the world. But quite a lot of the reason is because people tend to drive at lower speeds, and most especially, don't any longer speed so much in the totally ridiculous and inappropriate places the way that they used to.

Edited by blake

If I"d got pulled by a police car, he most likely would have had a quiet word in my ear, with the cameras you"ve no chance.

Just wondering, has the awareness course changed your driving? Do you try to drive safely now?

Just wondering, has the awareness course changed your driving? Do you try to drive safely now?

I always drive carefully... the speed awareness course did"nt make a ha,peth of difference, all they did was tell me what I already knew.

I have been a professional driver all my working life, and of course I make mistakes no body is perfect.

Depends on your definition of good driver tbh.

Fair cop isn't having a shady bloke sitting at the bottom of a huge hill on a road that's capable of driving 120 down ready to snap you at anything above 30 on a Sunday evening when nobody is on the roads. Nanny state and all that.

Fair play to you if you're okay with that kind of business going on though. :hihi:

Are you serious? I don't believe you are. But just in case you are an unbelievable idiot like the one who killed my friend's child by speeding a few years ago, that "shady bloke" is trying to keep our roads safe.

Many people get caught breaking the speed limit by accident or even on purpose and accept the consequences. To boast about deliberately speeding and potentially murdering someone and then trying to blame the police is utterly stupid.

Are you serious? I don't believe you are. But just in case you are an unbelievable idiot like the one who killed my friend's child by speeding a few years ago, that "shady bloke" is trying to keep our roads safe.

Many people get caught breaking the speed limit by accident or even on purpose and accept the consequences. To boast about deliberately speeding and potentially murdering someone and then trying to blame the police is utterly stupid.

AB, DC. is"nt boasting about anything.

I always drive carefully... the speed awareness course did"nt make a ha,peth of difference, all they did was tell me what I already knew.

I have been a professional driver all my working life, and of course I make mistakes no body is perfect.

Honest question, what makes you a professional driver?

AB, DC. is"nt boasting about anything.

I didn't actually say DC was boasting. That was aimed at all the people who get caught speeding but blame the police for catching them instead of blaming themselves for making a mistake or deliberately risking killing others.

Honest question, what makes you a professional driver?

41yrs driving buses for 1st group. mainline, STD.

In many circumstances it would be unsafe to travel at 29mph, but in others it would be safe to do 40mph (in a 30 limit), the latter being an offence.

I went on the speed awareness course, morning session, afternoon session was fully booked up....I counted 30 people all paid £90.. £2700. same again afternoon, that's £5400 for the day, 2 instructors to pay.... theres 100s of centres around the country, at least dick turpin wore a mask.

Dick Turpin robbed innocent people though.

Don't get me wrong i'm not anti car or anti speeding(in the right circumstances) but if you get caught man up and accept it.

As i advised my elderly relative on his speeding fine and training course, 51 years with a clean license doesn't mean you don't speed, it simply means you haven't been caught before.

There is not necessarily a correlation between being over the limit and being unsafe, but I would think the faster you go, the less safe you are.