Door to door charity collectors - acceptable hours?

I had them myself it was about 9.15 at night pretty sure there only allowed to call between 8 & 8

If I'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the door whatever time it is. I don't see why choosing not to answer the door is any different form choosing not to answer my phone.

Unfortunately door to door & street fundraising are very successful in generating cash for charities. If enough people were to donate off their own back, it wouldn't be necessary to use these methods but that isn't the case.

Not all charities that have fundraising teams of this kind pay an agency though, some have their own teams, paid like any other member of staff with no bonus for sign ups other than, you get to keep your job if you meet your targets. So in some cases, all the money raised does go directly to the charity.

If I'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the door whatever time it is. I don't see why choosing not to answer the door is any different form choosing not to answer my phone.

Unfortunately door to door & street fundraising are very successful in generating cash for charities. If enough people were to donate off their own back, it wouldn't be necessary to use these methods but that isn't the case.

Not all charities that have fundraising teams of this kind pay an agency though, some have their own teams, paid like any other member of staff with no bonus for sign ups other than, you get to keep your job if you meet your targets. So in some cases, all the money raised does go directly to the charity.

Well, it's tempting not to, but it's real shame that I'm reluctant to answer my own door, or answer my own phone because of this. Good job I answered the door yesterday though, 'cos it was the next door neighbour, bringing back some washing that had blown off the line into their garden!

A friend of mine had a 'charity' collector at her door fairly late, despite having a the 'yellow' notice on the door, she pointed this out and the collector said can't read it I am dyslexic!!!!

I live in a flat in a block that has a security system on the main door. If the intercom buzzes at night I just ignore it.

Having said that I don't think we ever get charity collectors round here. We are too poor!

It really annoys me too. Happens regular at my house. Either when i'm doing the kids tea, or bedtime. It's so annoying the silly times they call. I've just bought a sticker to put on my window. It's not on calling late at night

There is no law on doorstop knocking but i think that doing it after 8pm is not really acceptable.

However, 5pm to 10pm is probably the prime time to catch people at home.

There are so many ways to give to charity now that i think that door selling is a step too far.

I think peoples attitudes would be different if it was something people wanted and they were getting a bargain.

---------- Post added 21-03-2014 at 13:04 ----------

I had safe style windows knock on my door last night. :roll:

I've had 2 door knockers this week alone, and then got mithered in Asda and tesco too. What is it with these charities? I will give to charities I choose to give to! Half of the monies given get lost in admin/whatever before even reaching their supposed destination!

I sponsor a child in a small orphanage in India who I see a few times a year & correspond with regularly, we take clothes/toys out for all the children there, but at least I can see where the money is going.

These so called charities who knock on doors are a nightmare, and if you give out your bank details then god help you!

My parents give to a number of charities, paying by direct debit where It starts at an affordable £2.00 per month. They now receive about 10 phone calls each week from these parasites asking for more money, giving it the hard sell. They are elderly and can't afford to keep doing so. I've told them to stop the direct debits, or stick to one or two and don't fall for the hard sell.

Doorstep fund raisers are supposed to abide by the rules set-out by the PFRA

http://www.pfra.org.uk/professional_standards/code_rules/

here are the three relating to door-stepping:

Fundraisers ought always knock or ring at a property’s main entrance and not use side

entrances or back doors, unless a resident gives permission to do so

Fundraising may only take place between 9am and 9pm (10am on Sundays and public holidays)

unless fundraisers have permission to visit outside these hours

Fundraisers should take extra care when calling once darkness has fallen so as not to

cause alarm or distress to householders

I'm amazed some people feel the need to justify themselves or even have rows with these doorstepper vultures. If you have no intention of donating to anybody who turns up on your doorstep just say no thanks and close the door. They aren't going to hassle you or start banging on your windows, just try next door.

I agree. "No thank you" works a treat.