Told not to take photographs in Weston Park Museum

I don't know if modern flash photography does damage to any exhibits.

I believe the ruling is carried on from the days when flash powder and flash bulbs were used and there was a possibility of the flash bulbs bursting or the powder igniting tapestries etc..

The ruling may be in place to avoid build ups of people whilst someone is trying to take a photograph.

The whole situation needs clarifying.

The damage is done over time. One flash is unlikely to damage the artifacts any noticable amount. 100,000 flashes will.

A bit like the "do not pick the flowers" signs at the botanical gardens: If one visitor picks one, no one is likely to notice. If every visitor picks one, pretty soon you have a garden full of stems.

The point is to preserve the artifacts for future generations and not to take the "hump" when someone asks you to follow the rules.

The damage is done over time. One flash is unlikely to damage the artifacts any noticable amount. 100,000 flashes will.

A bit like the "do not pick the flowers" signs at the botanical gardens: If one visitor picks one, no one is likely to notice. If every visitor picks one, pretty soon you have a garden full of stems.

The point is to preserve the artifacts for future generations and not to take the "hump" when someone asks you to follow the rules.

How does modern flash actually damage the artifacts ?

weve taken the grandson a couple of times and taken loads of photos, flash and not flash and never had a word said to us. i suppose it depends who is working that day and if they are a jobsworth :|

A while ago I was attempting to take a photographs of my own kids in Weston Park Museum when I was approached by a member of staff and told I was not allowed and could I please 'put the camera away'.

I was furious and ended up just walking out. And to be honest, it's put me off going back.

I can only assume it's because they would rather you bought merchandise from their shop. But my question is: can they legally tell you not to take pictures? It's a public place after all.

I was in an old castle (Cyprus) last week,and the same applied there,(although i did take a few sneaky shots)

I thought it was constant light(the ultra violet part of the electro magnetic spectrum) which caused the fading of photographs.

As for heat, this is insignificant in a camera mounted flash.

Heat is given out by the modelling lights in studio flash units but visitors would not be using this equipment.

I'll never forget being at Cheddar Caves, there is a rock and a stalagmite that together cast a shadow on the wall like a witch's head.

Everyone was busily taking photographs of the shadow with their flashes firing ten to the dozen.

That was before digital cameras so a lot of people disappointed when they came out of the photo processing shops :hihi:

Hilarious! I never had a flash for my film camera, so I didn't have that problem.

Years ago I was approached by a jobsworth in the old rag and tag market and warned that it was unlawful to take photographs.

The photographs I took then have appeared in a library publication and are also listed on Picture Sheffield.

If we had all obeyed there would be few photos of the city.

Years ago I was approached by a jobsworth in the old rag and tag market and warned that it was unlawful to take photographs.

My responce is

could you please tell me what the act is and what the section number is which prohibits me from taking photo's in this place , if they cant tell you then usualy it doesnt exist.

Sadly, some people spoil things for everyone else. I've no knowledge of why Weston Park Museum has this policy. It could be to stop flash photography harming exhibits, or just irritating other users.

A year or two ago I heard of a charity that had taken pictures of a group of children enjoying something like a Weston Park exhibit. The kids and their teachers had been invited and were happy to be photographed. They were orderly and happy. All went well until the picture got into a promotional leaflet - produced in thousands. It was a lovely picture. It was fairly small in an appropriate educational setting.

One of the parents saw it. Oh no, that wouldn't do. Invasion of privacy. No reasoning would help. Legal action threatened by solicitors letter. The charity felt it best to pulp the entire print run rather than fight an action.

It's when stories like that go around that rules get made that appear over draconian. I know our politicians try to defend all our liberties. I know the legal profession does a grand job. Unfortunately situations like you've witnessed at Weston Park Museum may then come about.

Nobody knows what use can be made of any photograph, and when a child is involved every one who's heard a story like the one I've told gets very twitchy!

Edited by 1978

No right to privacy in most situations, they should have told the parent to do one.

No right to privacy in most situations, they should have told the parent to do one.

Just because it's legal to do something doesn't mean it's considerate. Some parents (fleeing an abusive spouse, for example) have a very legitimate safety concern about publication of pictures of their children.

BTW, I think most schools now send parents a photography release form at the beginning of the year with various options (photos can be taken, can be used on the school website, can be used in print). As long as all the parents in a class or year agree, everyone can photograph freely. But some parents may have a good reason for not wanting it.