Told not to take photographs in Weston Park Museum

You're a Jobsworth aren't you? I can tell. Was it you who told me off?

You do seem to have a problem when you equate a polite request from a member of staff not to take photos in a museum (are there notices up asking you not do this? I can't remember) & a "telling off". Have you always had problems doing what you're asked to do?

And I'm really not sure the museum is yours to do what you want with no matter how much council tax you pay.

A while ago I was attempting to take a photographs of my own kids in Weston Park Museum when I was approached by a member of staff and told I was not allowed and could I please 'put the camera away'.

I was furious and ended up just walking out. And to be honest, it's put me off going back.

I can only assume it's because they would rather you bought merchandise from their shop. But my question is: can they legally tell you not to take pictures? It's a public place after all.

Went yesterday.

Took about 50 pics of my kids and some other people and their kids.

No one seemed to mind a bit.

Went yesterday.

Took about 50 pics of my kids and some other people and their kids.

No one seemed to mind a bit.

It was a while ago. Maybe the member of staff is no longer there, maybe he was just on a power trip, maybe he just didn't like the look of us lol

Oh well, seems like it hasn't happened to anyone else. Might give it another go.

To be fair, findng it shouldn't be an issue. If that is the policy, then that should have been explained to the OP at the time, which would have removed all need for this thread.

Photography without flash doesn't hurt anything, but to be fair, a lot of people seem unable to switch the flash off (or at least unable to remember to do it) these days. (That's why people with cameras in the Underground and around trains at night make the drivers nervous.)

I'll never forget being at Cheddar Caves, there is a rock and a stalagmite that together cast a shadow on the wall like a witch's head.

Everyone was busily taking photographs of the shadow with their flashes firing ten to the dozen.

That was before digital cameras so a lot of people disappointed when they came out of the photo processing shops :hihi:

A while ago I was attempting to take a photographs of my own kids in Weston Park Museum when I was approached by a member of staff and told I was not allowed and could I please 'put the camera away'.

I was furious and ended up just walking out. And to be honest, it's put me off going back.

I can only assume it's because they would rather you bought merchandise from their shop. But my question is: can they legally tell you not to take pictures? It's a public place after all.

I've noticed this also, though I'm not sure if its a Sheffield thing or a generalised UK thing.

I've spent a lot of time in museums in NW Canada and other parts of Canada for my research taking photo's etc and whilst they don't like you using flash they seem to be quite happy and nice about it if you wish to take photo's of the exhibits. The result of which has always encouraged me to donate a few $ on my way out as a thank you.

That said Western Park museum leaves a lot to be desired these days, its dead boring with hardly anything in it, 30 minutes and your done, enough said. In relation to other museums it really is quite pathetic...

I

That said Western Park museum leaves a lot to be desired these days, its dead boring with hardly anything in it, 30 minutes and your done, enough said. In relation to other museums it really is quite pathetic...

It's more like a kiddies playground these days than a museum...

It's more like a kiddies playground these days than a museum...

It fills a day up though, and it's a cheap day out, all they ask for is a donation at the end. Just annoys me that I was stopped taking pics of my own kids - I haven't been back since, therefore not donating.

The Jobsworth probably still doesn't understand his own goal.

It fills a day up though, and it's a cheap day out, all they ask for is a donation at the end. Just annoys me that I was stopped taking pics of my own kids - I haven't been back since, therefore not donating.

The Jobsworth probably still doesn't understand his own goal.

Seems to me by reading your posts that you have issues in abiding by polite requests. Obviously your arrogance forbids you to take notice of any official request, (written or otherwise) that you feel "doesn't mean me".

What a drama queen!!

We did the Royal Armouries in Leeds thiss week, this is also free and is a great day out if that sort of thing is what you want to look at, they do several little shows through the day, we also got free parking this week purely bt chance as it was Jubilee week.I did hear one person get asked not to use the flash, so I asked why and the attendant kindly explained that it was due to the fact that the flash can damage some of the exhibits which I thought was fair enough I even made a couple of videos of the shows with no complaints.

A++++ for the Royal Armouries, we also went to Western Park the day before didn't have the camera so can't comment on that as for the museum itself not the best day out we had, even managed to find out that they have had a couple of the stuffed animals from the big tree exhibit nicked!?

never mind the damage that repeated flash photography can do to some of the artefacts and exhibits in museums ...

I don't know if modern flash photography does damage to any exhibits.

I believe the ruling is carried on from the days when flash powder and flash bulbs were used and there was a possibility of the flash bulbs bursting or the powder igniting tapestries etc..

The ruling may be in place to avoid build ups of people whilst someone is trying to take a photograph.

The whole situation needs clarifying.

I had the same issue with a member of staff in the museum regarding taking pictures, we weren't even in the exhibition space but in the dressing up area.

My question would be why am I able to walk into the British Museum and take photographs galore of the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles but not one of my kid by the side of the badly stuffed fox in Weston Park?

The rules are fair enough but staff need to be told them clearly and not given free rein to change them when the mood suits.