Told not to take photographs in Weston Park Museum

A while ago I was attempting to take a photographs of my own kids in Weston Park Museum when I was approached by a member of staff and told I was not allowed and could I please 'put the camera away'.

I was furious and ended up just walking out. And to be honest, it's put me off going back.

I can only assume it's because they would rather you bought merchandise from their shop. But my question is: can they legally tell you not to take pictures? It's a public place after all.

A while ago I was attempting to take a photographs of my own kids in Weston Park Museum when I was approached by a member of staff and told I was not allowed and could I please 'put the camera away'.

I was furious and ended up just walking out. And to be honest, it's put me off going back.

I can only assume it's because they would rather you bought merchandise from their shop. But my question is: can they legally tell you not to take pictures? It's a public place after all.

Legally they probably can. But I've never had any trouble taking a few photos there.

As its on musuem premises yes they can , however, you should have asked them why usualy its standard practice in musuem not to allow this so as to protect copyright , however,there have been occasions when individual members of staff have got it wrong .

There was an incident at abbeydale industrial hamlet when a security gaurd was stoping people from photographing the traction engines it turned out he had got the wrong end of the stick.

That's a random statement and has no relevence, why didn't you ask them what the reason behind the request was.

That's a random statement and has no relevence, why didn't you ask them what the reason behind the request was.

I don't think it's totally irrelevant. Some museums don't allow photography specifically because they think banning it helps sell guidebooks, postcards, etc.

(I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here; just that it's worth considering.)

Photography policy at Weston Park museum

Museums Sheffield welcomes non-flash photography by visitors for personal use only wherever we can, however to protect artist's copyright photography is not permitted in certain areas.

We reserve the right to ask visitors not to take photographs in the interests of security and to protect the privacy of our visitors.

Visitors are welcome to take non-flash photographs in all permanent galleries at Weston Park, however photography of paintings is not permitted as many are still in copyright.

Photography policy for temporary exhibitions will depend on the copyright involved and the consent of the lender - please ask our staff for details.

If you would like to photograph or film inside any of our museums for media or professional purposes, please contact our press and marketing team in advance here

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/museums/weston-park/planning-a-visit/photography-policy

Was that so difficult to find?

Hard to say, you were the one that went looking :D

Took two google searches, 1 more than I expected. Must have been all of 10 seconds.

I don't think it's totally irrelevant. Some museums don't allow photography specifically because they think banning it helps sell guidebooks, postcards, etc.

(I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here; just that it's worth considering.)

That's possibly true but to connect the two things in such a way seems random to me.

I don't think it's irrelevant. The gift shop is full of overpriced books and photographs of things featured in the museum. I assumed they would rather I made a purchase from there rather than take my own pic!

It's only my assumption. I could be totally wrong. I just wondered if anyone knew the legalities of it.

And you're right, I should have asked the staff member why. I was just a bit shocked and angry.

I assume (there I go again!) that Weston Park Museum is funded by the Council. As a Council Tax payer, it angers me that I can't even take a photograph in the damn place!

Took two google searches, 1 more than I expected. Must have been all of 10 seconds.

In answer to your question then, no.