RIP Dave Wickett

Heard the sad news today that Dave Wickett has passed away.

For those who don't know, Dave Wickett was the man who started up the Fat Cat pub and Kelham Island brewery. He played a pivotal role in making Sheffield the number one real ale destination in the UK and it's fair to say that he blazed a trail for a number of other outstanding pubs and breweries to follow.

His influence on the UK beer scene has been huge and he will be missed.

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9001875843/sad-loss-of-kelham-island-brewery-founder-announced-AT-sheffield-the-fat-cat/

For those who don't know, Dave Wickett was the man who started up the Fat Cat pub and Kelham Island brewery. He played a pivotal role in making Sheffield the number one real ale destination in the UK and it's fair to say that he blazed a trail for a number of other outstanding pubs and breweries to follow.

http://postcodegazette.com/news/9001875843/sad-loss-of-kelham-island-brewery-founder-announced-AT-sheffield-the-fat-cat/

Very sad. He was a splendid fellow.

Very sad news, this gent certainly played a huge part in the national real ale revolution.

Indirectly you could say he was responsible for breweries such as Thornbridge and Brewdog, not to mention all the fantastic pubs we have down the Kelham Island area of town.

He was also my mates lecturer at Sheffield Hallam.

I remember my mate telling me that Dave suggested they all go down to his pub one day for a lecture, so off my mate trundled thinking he'd get a free pint of beer, when they got there Dave charged them all......They were studying accountancy, so it was a valuable business lesson. :hihi:

RIP Dave Wickett.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Doom

I didnt know him but he sounds like he was a decent chap. Anyone who is involved in supporting the pub industry in sheffield deserves credit. I will raise a glass to him in the pub this evening.