Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

I've worked at Dormer and still do since 1978.

Here's some names for you.

Bill Hodkin

Cyril Clay

Denis Yeardley

Ray Hill

Ron Hill

Alan Bottomely

Pete Carnell

Ernest Moat

Tony & Margaret Boot

Terry Cahill

Richard Grayson

Bob Tideswell

Ian frankish

Ron Pegg

Kevin Smith

Tony Morton

Keith Mitchell

Kevin Bottom

all have moved on.

Still there from the old days

Alan Brown

Stuart Gray

Mick Drabble

Graham Brammer

Richard Lill

Steve Tedds

Kevin Holloway

Andy Maxwell

Dave Poole

Tony Cowley

Alan Wood

& Dobbin

It's still a flourishing company, now part of the Sandvik multinational. However it has now moved out of Sheffield to Worksop.

I remember some of those guys I worked there between 1966 and 1978, Mick Drabble had a twin sister and was a draughtsman I think. I worked in The Fitters shop

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 05:33 ----------

My grandad worked here his name was Norman Carter not sure what he did. Any one remember him?

I remember Norman Carter he was Foreman on the turning section whilst I was there from 1966 to 1978.

He was a bggod bloke and always had time for me in my second year of training for 3 months there

I remember some of those guys I worked there between 1966 and 1978, Mick Drabble had a twin sister and was a draughtsman I think. I worked in The Fitters shop

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 05:33 ----------

I remember Norman Carter he was Foreman on the turning section whilst I was there from 1966 to 1978.

He was a bggod bloke and always had time for me in my second year of training for 3 months there

I worked there from 1967 to 1979 son of Denis Yeardley (Derek) he died of COPD in 2007. Just bumped into Tony Cowley in Crystal peaks he is working at B & Q at Darnall he is married to Gill Cooke who was Mike Pennington's Secretary.

Edited by Asaw

My grandad worked here his name was Norman Carter not sure what he did. Any one remember him?

Hello Highflyer14, I remember your grandad Norman. I was an apprentice fitter (from 1959 to 1965), in the next section to the Turners where he worked and often had to take work to him from the machine building section. Like most apprentices in those days, we all worked on different sections for 6 months at a time. I eventually finished up under Ron Pashley working with Cyril Marples, Jack Darwin mainly, before leaving for Australia.

Norm was a lovely bloke, and always took care of the apprentices and it was people like Norm that made STD a great place to work.

Just to put things right my father Colin Mansell was a wireless operator on the Halifax planes, he was personal manager before he was made redundant in 1983 he started with STD in 1937 as a clerk before joining tha Airforce in 1939, he was shot down over France in 1941 fortunately the Yanks got to him before the Germans, he re-joined STD IN 1947. He was a Dormer man through and through, I worked there from 1981 until 1992, very happy times

Hello Dennis, My name is Douglas Kay, we lived opposite you in Priory Terrace, I think our Brian was about your age, Brian of the Mule Train pub act. How are you keeping. I'm 84 Y.O and living in Florida.

Sorry about the mis-information re your father, he was one of the best, you must be very proud of him.

HI Dennis, we spent our first year together in the training centre, with Bob Hallam and Graham Waton as superintendents

You came from Eckington along with Neil Ward he had the numberplates NFW3.

There were some oddballs amongst us thats for sure.

Do you remember the footy comp we had kicking Milk and orange cartons at lunchtimes in a soccer competition.

I also remember that night you got up on stage at a Stag night and sang Words but lost it to a guy that I used to despise Tom Circuit.

I stayed there until the recession hit in 1978 them went to work over the road at James Neill until 1981 then we emigrated to Australia and never looked back.

My brother to this day still lives in Eckington and last year me and the wife were over there having breakfast at the new R Cafe in the main street of eckington each morning of the 10 days we were there

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 00:36 ----------

HI Millsie,

Yeah me and Dennis Wilkinson started in 1966 the year after you left. I alos made the trip to Australia in March 1982, came to Perth and never looked back. It was hard work coming here with a young family and $300 in your pocket just out of a bad recession in England but if you work hard here you can make a difference and have a successful life.

i was back in England last year with my new Aussie bride all around England , Scotland and Wales and out of 28 days we had 4 fine ones lol

I was sad to Hear that John Hinch was now in a nursing home suffering from Parkinsons ans Alzeinhers.

I've worked at Dormer and still do since 1978.

Here's some names for you.

Bill Hodkin

Cyril Clay

Denis Yeardley

Ray Hill

Ron Hill

Alan Bottomely

Pete Carnell

Ernest Moat

Tony & Margaret Boot

Terry Cahill

Richard Grayson

Bob Tideswell

Ian frankish

Ron Pegg

Kevin Smith

Tony Morton

Keith Mitchell

Kevin Bottom

all have moved on.

Still there from the old days

Alan Brown

Stuart Gray

Mick Drabble

Graham Brammer

Richard Lill

Steve Tedds

Kevin Holloway

Andy Maxwell

Dave Poole

Tony Cowley

Alan Wood

& Dobbin

It's still a flourishing company, now part of the Sandvik multinational. However it has now moved out of Sheffield to Worksop.

....and you forgot me - Richard Guth - I started work with David Poole [were also at school together]. Good mates with Graham Brammer. Please give them my best wishes if you are still in contact with them.

Did you work at twist drill at anytime. I worked in work study from 1969 to 1978. My former Bosses were Maurice Owens and Pat Hopwood.

I thought all drills were twisted lol

I was in work study, working for John Hinch and Brian McGrail from 79 to 82 following my apprenticeship at Sheff Tw Drill from 77 to 79

Sad to see that John Hinch has passef away deep regrets to hid wife Joan and family.

No iused to work at the bakery at bottom of summerfield street

I worked at the twist drill from 1970 to 1980 and I knew everyone in the works as I was the office junior.