Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

Hello desy. I worked at twist drill between Jan`75, and Aug `78. I worked under a foreman called Alan Bothomley who was universally loathed.

I`m sure that there was a young man called Richard Hill worked there in about `76. There was some suggestion that he was argueing with his girlfriend while driving and while going down Hutcliffe Wood Rd went off the rd and they were both killed. Very tragic as they were both very young and I think I`m correct in saying he was only 21 yrs old at the time. We all attended the service cremation, Ironically at Hutcliffe Wood.

I worked for Alan Bothomley on the Roll forge for a while. Last time I saw him was at Sam Jones gym. He didn't look much different. I am sure he would like to know that he was loathed by everyone as you put it. Are you sure this just isn't workers hating bosses showing through?

In memory of Richard Hill, a darts tournament was run each year at STD. His parents would present the trophy at the presentations evening.

If they were both killed how did you know they were arguing?

Hi. I was really quoting what someone else said at the time. That Richards girlfriend had said that she was considering the longterm prospects of their relationship. As they left the house to go out. Thats it,final, all I know. Ok?

As for Alan Bothomley. Well from what I was told by someone some years after I had left, was that people in the department had raised a petition on more than one occation to have him removed. Never going to happen of course. But they should have done what I did and left. If they were so digruntled.

To tell you the truth I didn`t have that much to do with him. And that`s not backpedalling either. I didn`t think much of the regime in the shop. Other departments were allowed to go to the clock at 5 minutes before clocking out. I the case of our department we had to wait until 30 seconds before clock out to approach the clock. And to ensure that this edict was complied with Pete Carnel and Graham whatisname would skulk behind the machinery. If they spotted anyone daring to put on their coat before the "DEADLINE", they would bring them up on a charge the next day before Captain Mannering.

That`s a fact. OK?

I was at Twist Drill from 67-72. Started in CSD under Bob Cliffe in the old offices, and then we moved to the new block. Also worked for a while in "The School" down the road. The only Ken that springs to mind is Ken Mercer, who was always in CSD when I was there. It was rumoured at the time that he had a bit of a thing going with Christine Moss.

Hi Glenda Fearnehough (old name here )Can you remember Edith Addie and an older women called Flo she was there for years.

My wife, Elaine (Wyatt) worked as a torthand shypist in the offices of Twist Drill back in the 70s till I whisked her off to Huddersfield.

'First Job' a tale of feckless youth in 70s Sheffield. Free at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

My dad worked at STD/Dormer Tools for many years, Fred Guite, he worked with someone called Brian from what I can remember. I worked across the road when I left school at James Neil in the 70's. I also know Mick Silenti that worked there much later.

my mum worked there in the 60 Sally Abreo she worked there right up to 85 her name then was sally Standely

I knew Dennis Mansell and his dad Colin and his mother who I new as anty Lilly

Colin had a managers job at Twist Drill

Hi busy. p's, no i didn't work at Dormer but know some that did.

My dad worked at STD/Dormer Tools for many years' date=' Fred Guite, he worked with someone called Brian from what I can remember. I worked across the road when I left school at James Neil in the 70's. I also know Mick Silenti that worked there much later.[/quote']

My dad worked there for over 20 years, his name was (Henry) Brian Baker. He had a bad heart and died in 1983 but he worked up until a couple of years before his death. He loved his job. I loved the Christmas parties and the social club

Was Sheffield Twist Drill anything to do with international Twist Drill on Claywheels Lane? I went on a weeks holiday with a bus load of them to Lido di Jessolo (Venice) back in the late 70's for £90.

I knew Colin and his son Dennis, they lived on Priory Rd, I decorated their house. Colin was in the RAF during the war, rumour has it he was a fighter pilot. My brother Brian worked there as a fitter for years and so did a pal of mine Peter Elliott.

I worked there for a couple of months but I was bored out of my mind, can you imagine a twist drill works being anything else but BORING. It was what I would imagine prison to be like.

hi my dad and uncle worked there quite a few years ago though peter calvert and ron stapleton anyone no them

My grandad is called Ron Stapleton, he might have worked there - am sure my dad did - my dad is called John Stapleton.