Is it acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

That's not really the point. As everyone knows fines from private car parks are not enforcable anyhow.

I just find it very annoying that about a quarter of folks who park using a blue badge are clearly 100% fit and have either faked a badge, borrowed one, obtained one under false pretences or failed to return a badge once a disability was cured.

As it happens I didn't have to park in a disabled parking space as someone moved their car whilst I was thinking about it.

I want a "like" button for your stunning x-ray vision and amazing diagnostic skills!

Is it ever acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Today the weather wasn't brilliant when I pulled into a small car park outside a row of shops. There were around 20 parking spaces at least 4 of which were taken by recyling bins, 3 by a delivery truck and a further 4 or 5 are marked as disabled parking places. Everywhere else is marked out with double yellow lines.

When I pulled in to the car park every non disabled place had a car, truck or a bin parked in it, but not a single disabled space was being used.

As it is very unlikely that 5 blue badge holders will all turn up together is it acceptable to park in a disabled space for 5 minutes whilst you buy some stamps, or should you drive away and shop elsewhere?

I, too, had more sympathy for your first post before I read your unfounded statistical nonsense.

That aside, I think the answer to your question has to be: no, never.

The problem with making allowances for a mitigating circumstance is that this immediately introduces indefinite boundaries which will then proceed to be pushed further by people who are able to convince themselves that their own petty predicament justifies parking, for instance, in the only disabled space left and, inevitably, this will lead to genuinely disabled people being unable to find a space when they should be able to.

Is it ever acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Today the weather wasn't brilliant when I pulled into a small car park outside a row of shops. There were around 20 parking spaces at least 4 of which were taken by recyling bins, 3 by a delivery truck and a further 4 or 5 are marked as disabled parking places. Everywhere else is marked out with double yellow lines.

When I pulled in to the car park every non disabled place had a car, truck or a bin parked in it, but not a single disabled space was being used.

As it is very unlikely that 5 blue badge holders will all turn up together is it acceptable to park in a disabled space for 5 minutes whilst you buy some stamps, or should you drive away and shop elsewhere?

4 occupied by recycling bins, 3 by delivery truck and 5 disabled totals 12 out of 20, why couldn't you park in one of the other 8?

I want a "like" button for your stunning x-ray vision and amazing diagnostic skills!

I'm not really sure what your problem is here. I'm pointing out the widespread abuse of NON disabled people who use blue parking badges. The government estimate this fraud costs around £46 million per year in lost parking fees, so it is pretty clear that it is widespread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17504569

New plastic blue badges with extra security features are being introduced in Wales to help tackle abuse of parking for disabled drivers.

The badges will be harder to forge or be used fraudulently when they are brought in next month

Police and parking wardens can check them on the spot against a national database if they suspect abuse.

Welsh government ministers say the badges will be free, unlike some in England and Scotland.

'Pain and inconvenience'

The current handwritten card badges will be replaced by plastic, electronically-printed photo ID versions as disabled drivers renew them over the next three years.

A UK government report has highlighted widespread abuse of the system which created problems for disabled people and cost £46m a year in parking fee evasion.

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

Drivers take no notice of the signs, either because of laziness or ignorance of how difficult it really can be for a disabled person to park in a normal space ”

Transport Minister Carl Sargeant said: "When people abuse blue badges, or use disabled parking spaces they're not entitled to, they are seriously affecting the quality of life of those individuals who legitimately carry

I would have thought genuinely disabled people would be rather pleased that there was a crackdown. Just how do you think those policing the scheme identify what they suspect to be frauduently used badges?