Is it acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

I am having difficulties, because of bureaucracy, currently, about getting my own blue badge renewed as the council are now insisting on forms of ID that I do not possess, (Passport) or am forbidden to possess (driving license) or cannot afford to possess (see passport and driving license comments above) or are in a name that I no longer acknowledge. Despite having other, acceptable, current forms of ID, including photographic ID issued by the authority themselves, not two years ago. Grrr

"........

Proof of identity should be in the form of a copy of your Passport, Driving Licence, Birth or Adoption Certificate or UK identity Card

........"

You know that regulations have changed over the last few years.

Look how employers are required to check the ID of employees.

Nothing wrong in expecting you to hold a copy of your birth certificate. Is there, really?

where as I would be uncomfortable with parking in a dsiabled parking bay, i feel blue badges are given to many who abuse them.

You only have to go to one of our hospitals to see how many visitors borrow the patients blue badge when they go to visit.

You only have to go to one of our hospitals to see how many visitors borrow the patients blue badge when they go to visit.

If you look at the price of parking in town and at the hospitals i can hardly blame them.

There's hundreds of parking spaces at places such as Meadowhall, and there are genuine disabled people visiting these places...

I can't walk very far, I'm thinking of getting a wheelchair for places such as MH so I can see more of it.

Does anyone begrudge me a parking space so I don't have to start my trip out by walking from one end of the car park to the nearest entrance?

Does anyone begrudge me a parking space so I don't have to start my trip out by walking from one end of the car park to the nearest entrance?

That's not what the OP was about...it was about parking in one of 5 empty bays for 5 mins..

That's not what the OP was about...it was about parking in one of 5 empty bays for 5 mins..

If you look back at every post, there is a bit of blue badge abuse creeping in..:)

Is that so different from passing a valid car park ticket to another person allowing them to use the facility for free though?

Is that so different from passing a valid car park ticket to another person allowing them to use the facility for free though?

Oh my word, we've done that loads of times...:blush:

1) My problem is your ability to diagnose someone as being "non-disabled" from just a glimpse, or less, and the inference that, therefore, most blue-badge users are fraudulent.

Your disabilty appears to be to read one thing and imagine you've read another. If you actually responded to what I said rather than what you wanted to read we would be better off.

There are some fairly obvious cases of abuses of blue badges. Folks walking back from the DIY store with a sack of cement over their shoulder would be a pretty good starting point, not to mention photocopied badges or badges borrowed from folk who are fairly obviously not the same sex.

I refered to wide spread abuse of the scheme as reported on the BBC and elsewhere. Its just your personal hangup that translated that into MOST BLUE BADGE HOLDERS being fraudulent.

Your disabilty appears to be to read one thing and imagine you've read another. If you actually responded to what I said rather than what you wanted to read we would be better off.

There are some fairly obvious cases of abuses of blue badges. Folks walking back from the DIY store with a sack of cement over their shoulder would be a pretty good starting point, not to mention photocopied badges or badges borrowed from folk who are fairly obviously not the same sex.

I refered to wide spread abuse of the scheme as reported on the BBC and elsewhere. Its just your personal hangup that translated that into MOST BLUE BADGE HOLDERS being fraudulent.

In some places "most" might be the correct word to use

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8010840/Blue-badge-abuse-is-out-of-control.html

Unless you park in a manner which they can demonstrate has led to an actual financial loss then yes, you can park wherever the hell you choose. The markings are simply a guide to where they would like you to park.

Surely if the T&Cs sign says they'll invoice you for parking outside of marked bays or in a disabled bay without a badge, then the act of parking contrary to those rules, and not paying said invoice, means that they can demonstrate a financial loss?

Massive leap of assumption there.

Surely any hospital car park is going to have a higher than average number of badge holders parking there simply because of the nature of what hospitals do. ie treat people with on gong disabilities.

If you want to spot parking abuse just go to any Tescos with a cashpoint and count the cashpoint cripples. No blue badge worries for them, they just park in the nearest bay (normally disabled) even if it is the last one vacant, as they only want to use the cash point and the extra 20 yds walk from the nearest ordinary parking bay would be too much for them. :roll:

Edited by Rand Hobart