Is it acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Is it ever acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Today the weather wasn't brilliant when I pulled into a small car park outside a row of shops. There were around 20 parking spaces at least 4 of which were taken by recyling bins, 3 by a delivery truck and a further 4 or 5 are marked as disabled parking places. Everywhere else is marked out with double yellow lines.

When I pulled in to the car park every non disabled place had a car, truck or a bin parked in it, but not a single disabled space was being used.

As it is very unlikely that 5 blue badge holders will all turn up together is it acceptable to park in a disabled space for 5 minutes whilst you buy some stamps, or should you drive away and shop elsewhere?

It's always "against the rules." You could probably argue the case, in the real world, that you were not actually preventing a disabled person from using the spot; but that might not save you. I've been fined for obstructing other traffic when there was no other traffic...

It's always "against the rules." You could probably argue the case, in the real world, that you were not actually preventing a disabled person from using the spot; but that might not save you. I've been fined for obstructing other traffic when there was no other traffic...

If it was a private car park then the markings on the disabled bays have no more legal basis than a picture of a squirrel. The only thing preventing you from parking in them is your own good will.

jb

That's not really the point. As everyone knows fines from private car parks are not enforcable anyhow.

I just find it very annoying that about a quarter of folks who park using a blue badge are clearly 100% fit and have either faked a badge, borrowed one, obtained one under false pretences or failed to return a badge once a disability was cured.

As it happens I didn't have to park in a disabled parking space as someone moved their car whilst I was thinking about it.

That's not really the point. As everyone knows fines from private car parks are not enforcable anyhow.

I just find it very annoying that about a quarter of folks who park using a blue badge are clearly 100% fit and have either faked a badge, borrowed one, obtained one under false pretences or failed to return a badge once a disability was cured.

As it happens I didn't have to park in a disabled parking space as someone moved their car whilst I was thinking about it.

Where did you get the figure of 25% from?