Is it acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Is it ever acceptable to park in a disabled bay if you do not hold a blue badge?

Today the weather wasn't brilliant when I pulled into a small car park outside a row of shops. There were around 20 parking spaces at least 4 of which were taken by recyling bins, 3 by a delivery truck and a further 4 or 5 are marked as disabled parking places. Everywhere else is marked out with double yellow lines.

When I pulled in to the car park every non disabled place had a car, truck or a bin parked in it, but not a single disabled space was being used.

As it is very unlikely that 5 blue badge holders will all turn up together is it acceptable to park in a disabled space for 5 minutes whilst you buy some stamps, or should you drive away and shop elsewhere?

Why not move one of the bins?

That's not really the point. As everyone knows fines from private car parks are not enforcable anyhow.

I just find it very annoying that about a quarter of folks who park using a blue badge are clearly 100% fit and have either faked a badge, borrowed one, obtained one under false pretences or failed to return a badge once a disability was cured.

As it happens I didn't have to park in a disabled parking space as someone moved their car whilst I was thinking about it.

You work that out with your magic disability detecting device? It detects non visible disabilities presumably, you should sell it! Then when you're rich you can just tell your chauffeur to keep circling the block.

You work that out with your magic disability detecting device? It detects non visible disabilities presumably, you should sell it! Then when you're rich you can just tell your chauffeur to keep circling the block.

dis·a·bled/disˈābəld/

Adjective: (of a person) Having a physical or mental condition that limits movements, senses, or activities.

I think this is the issue. If you see somone who is clearly able bodied and capable of driving themselves to the shops unaided, do their shopping, load their car and then drive home, they are not really disabled in the true definition of the word.

I've a friend that has a colostomy and other bowel problems due to having had Cancer a few years ago? She's 53 and ok on her legs, but sometimes she has problems re the colostomy where she needs the loo immediately, she has a BB because of this.

And I for one don't begrudge her having one. Does this go a little to answering your query..:)

I'm not disputing that your friend needs one but in what way does having a blue badge help with going to the toilet?

jb

Can you detect a mental condition that limits movement with your eyes?

Agoraphobia for example? I'm sure there are better examples, there are some users of this forum who might be able to walk perfectly normally for some (specific) distance, but go any further and they'll be struggling, in pain, out of breath, or whatever else.

There are people on the forum able to give better examples than me, my opinion used to be similar to yours until they explained.

I'm not disputing that your friend needs one but in what way does having a blue badge help with going to the toilet?

jb

Just by asking that, you are disputing it. I'm not going to go into the ins and out of having a Colostomy and other problems that can arise from having had Cancer of the bowel.

Can you detect a mental condition that limits movement with your eyes?

Agoraphobia for example? I'm sure there are better examples, there are some users of this forum who might be able to walk perfectly normally for some (specific) distance, but go any further and they'll be struggling, in pain, out of breath, or whatever else.

There are people on the forum able to give better examples than me, my opinion used to be similar to yours until they explained.

Is a phobia considered a disability though? Also if someones disability is undetectable to the rest of us, how is it a disability?

Is a phobia considered a disability though? Also if someones disability is undetectable to the rest of us, how is it a disability?

Blue badges are for people who's disability impairs their ability to walk but don't tell cyclone as it will ruin his rant.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061

"The Blue Badge scheme allows drivers of passengers with severe mobility problems to park close to where they need to go."

So if you see the car unload and the passengers shoot off to start playing football, you should probably be able to smell a rat.

Edited by vinyl

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, sorry if you see it that way. People always generalise on here, cyclists, motorists, muslims, the police,dog owners etc etc.

"The person you know as a badge abuser is a cause of this thread!"

Err, I think I may just about have gathered that! :roll: because I'm intelligent see.!

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, sorry if you see it that way. People always generalise on here, cyclists, motorists, muslims, the police,dog owners etc etc.

"The person you know as a badge abuser is a cause of this thread!"

Err, I think I may just about have gathered that! :roll: because I'm intelligent see.!

Yes I see that now.

Blue badges are for people who's disability impairs their ability to walk but don't tell cyclone as it will ruin his rant.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061

The Blue Badge scheme allows drivers of passengers with severe mobility problems to park close to where they need to go.

Did you think I was ranting? It doesn't affect me, I'm really just repeating arguments that I've seen put forward by other forum members and which seemed convincing to me.

Agoraphobia might be a bad example, although I can imagine that it impairs someones ability to walk through an unroofed car park quite severely.

Maybe medusa or plaintalker can give better examples.