Fairthorn children's home at Dore

Dick

Albert, are you thinking of "The Moss" on Limb lane Dore ?. That was a secure unit for girls, sorry to confuse matters.

No. Some years ago I sponsored half a dozen young woman to do the Christian Aid Walk. They were spending a little time at Moorside, which is off Blackbrook Road, Lodge Moor for hopefully their future benefit. They certainly enjoyed taking part in the walk and I often think about them when I'm around that area.

I think that the one's at Moorside were for those sins only posible for a woman. (Usually being guided by a bloke). Those staying at the ' The Moss ' were different.

I can't add much to what's been posted here Albert. I was originally hoping to get some material for a piece in Door to Dore but never wrote anything so I'm happy to leave it to you.

I've lived in Dore all my life and didn't know that Fairthorn had started at Redmires.

Most of the childhood memories of it being in the middle of nowhere, down a long lane and next to moorland would certainly apply to both the Dore Fairthorn and Redmires.

The deciding factor would be if anyone remembers it being next to a large dam. That couldn't be Dore.

When we were children at Dore school we used to collect money for the "poor" children at Fairthorn. I remember collecting tops off soap powder packets. I don't know how they were turned into money, it must have been some promotional gimmick.

Ash House was a convalescent home, my brother was in there for three months in 1958 after he'd had TB. I understand it was originally the Shentall grocers familly home. The council sold it in the 1980's and it became an old folks home.

The Moss used to belong to the Wilson snuff familly. The council bought it in the 1940's and used it as home for naughty girls. We used to say it was the prep school for Moorside.

In Fred Pass's book "Were's me Dad" he describes being put in a childrens home near Manchester somewhere. I don't know why they wouldn't have sent him to Fairthorn because he sounded to be just the sort of kid they sent there.

I can't add much to what's been posted here Albert. I was originally hoping to get some material for a piece in Door to Dore but never wrote anything so I'm happy to leave it to you.

I've lived in Dore all my life and didn't know that Fairthorn had started at Redmires.

Most of the childhood memories of it being in the middle of nowhere, down a long lane and next to moorland would certainly apply to both the Dore Fairthorn and Redmires.

The deciding factor would be if anyone remembers it being next to a large dam. That couldn't be Dore.

When we were children at Dore school we used to collect money for the "poor" children at Fairthorn. I remember collecting tops off soap powder packets. I don't know how they were turned into money, it must have been some promotional gimmick.

Ash House was a convalescent home, my brother was in there for three months in 1958 after he'd had TB. I understand it was originally the Shentall grocers familly home. The council sold it in the 1980's and it became an old folks home.

The Moss used to belong to the Wilson snuff familly. The council bought it in the 1940's and used it as home for naughty girls. We used to say it was the prep school for Moorside.

In Fred Pass's book "Were's me Dad" he describes being put in a childrens home near Manchester somewhere. I don't know why they wouldn't have sent him to Fairthorn because he sounded to be just the sort of kid they sent there.

Dick - You do your bit on the History of Fairthorne because I'm doing a bit regarding Totley Brook Open Space which to be of any use will have to be ready for publishing in the next edition.

If I wrote both only one would stand any chance of being published in next Jan or Feb edition.

It would also come better from you ' as you know all the local millionaire's by first name! '.

• 2 months later...

I stayed at Fairthorn in the early 50s. I was underweight at that time, (don't know quite what's happened since, I suppose having 3 children didn't help). It was walkable from Dore village, and we often went to spend our money at the local shops. You walked down a long steepish drive to the two storey house. Mr & Mrs Chumley ran it at that time, they had two children of their own. I had a great time there.

It's nice to see someone else's reminiscences posted on this thread, which has been "quiet" recently. For the record, an old friend of mine has confirmed that the Fairthorn children's convalescent home was first established in the 1930s at Fairthorn Lodge, which is in the wood just above the top Redmires dam. During the war it moved to Dore, keeping the Fairthorn name.

Was the home at Fulwood at the Fulwood Annex or was it at what eventually became a remand hostel for young girls situated close to Lodge Moor and called,' Moorside House '.

Where was the home where your mother lived at that time.? - flyer?

Sorry for the delay Albert, my computer on the blink,but if my memory is correct after 70 odd yrs, Fullwood annex was called Thornset Lodge (spelling doesn't look right) bus ride away fm F.C.H,but that was the second home i was placed in care,the 1st time was while mum was having baby 2-3 wks? We lived on Penistone Rd

Dick - You do your bit on the History of Fairthorne because I'm doing a bit regarding Totley Brook Open Space which to be of any use will have to be ready for publishing in the next edition.

If I wrote both only one would stand any chance of being published in next Jan or Feb edition.

It would also come better from you ' as you know all the local millionaire's by first name! '.

Albert, there was a guy called Pat who I believe attended Fairthorn and then stayed on as an odd job man. He was a little slow educationally but a very nice genuine and honest guy.

I ask because I saw him walking through the village a few months ago, he must be about 50 now and has a beard (come to think of it he had a beard 30 years ago)

Do you know him?

I also spent 2 weeks at Fairthorne (the one on the Moors) in the early 50's. My mum had been in hospital and I had taken my younger brother to the school clinic at Lowfields and was asked by the doctor if I would like to have a little holiday! I remember writing a letter home to my mum saying that it was a nice place but there wasn't a lot to eat (in those days I had hollow legs!) but my mum never got this letter! But after that, I kept getting urged to "have some more" so I can only assume that the letter wasn't sent. I can also remember being asked to go with another kid to Sheffield downtown to a doctor or something (can't really remember) as I was one of the big girls! I think that referred to my age and not my size as I was a skinny devil at that time (my how times change!) But I do remember enjoying spending the time out in the fresh air and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks for resurrecting those memories. Brandygirl.