Fairthorn children's home at Dore

I think we might be concerned with two different buildings here. I never went to Fairthorne (which I always understood to be at Dore) but my brother spent a week or two there in c. 1954 as he was under-weight. Fairthorne is described in its archive as a "convalescent home for children" - see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=O39078)

Fairthorn Lodge was evidently near the upper dam at Redmires, and kingfisher's 1930s memories of Fairthorne at Redmires might suggest that the Fairthorn institution was moved from Redmires to Dore.

I remember going to Fairthorne as i was under weight [wish i was like that now] i enjoyed going there was a lovely place

I was here for a month in the mid sixtys,there was a family in charge at that time with two or three daughters,I remember miss judith. and I was in charge of the pink room. there was a roundabout in the garden that we were not supposed to go on as rabbitts lived under it.but me and a mate stood on it and we got the slipper, and I trapped my fingers in the door on the way out.We had fancy dress competitions (I was Liberace).and got a shock off the electric fence on our way to church on sundays.I have photos from my stay there.did'nt like being away from my family.

The location(s) of the Fairthorne home is a question that could probably be answered by a visit to the Sheffield Archives, but being too far away I have had a look through the resources I have. And I would guess that the Fairthorne institution for children was founded at Redmires in the late 1920s or early 1930s, and that it moved to Dore in 1944. The 1925 Sheffield directory confirms the Redmires location of Fairthorne Lodge. It was at the end of the road along the western edge of the upper reservoir (the name can still be found on the Ordnance Survey map). This is the location suggested by the photo on the picturesheffield.com site. But in 1925 it must have been a private house, as the occupant was “Valentine Heywood, editor”. However, by the 1930s, Fairthorne Lodge at Redmires had evidently been converted to the convalescent home that kingfisher remembers. The National Archives website gives the dates 1944-71 for “Fairthorne Convalescent Home for Children, Sheffield”. So perhaps 1944 was the year when the home was moved from the Redmires building to the one in Dore, with the Dore building being named after the home’s former location.

This site: http://www.dorevillage.co.uk/newspast1f.htm confirms that the Dore premises are to be demolished to make way for retirement apartments, and mentions that "Home Farm Trust has operated Fairthorn since 1972, providing care and support for 36 adults with learning difficulties. Originally the building was used by a charity called the Fairthorn Association to provide short breaks in the clean air of Dore for children suffering from the effects of Sheffield smog".

By the way, Albert, I remember the name Hillier in regard to estate agents; as a Midland Bank messenger in the early 1970s I delivered letters to a firm called “Wilson, Hillier & French”.

Dereck Wilson owned the estate agents he went to america as ayoung man made a fortune came back bought the estate agents bought cressbrook estate in Derbyshire where he lived as

a young man had a stroke I Was a builder did a lot of work on hisold stables he was a lovely gentleman

I went there around 1960 .I remember the different coloured bedrooms.At that time there was a film being made .I dont remember why we were being filmed.Does anyone else know why ? Were they there at the same time?

I was sent to fairthorne in 1957 for three weeks because i was aneamic.I thought it was great .We had to lay on camp beds on the lawn in the afternoon to try and get some rest and fresh air.We just used to mess about.Plenty of walks and outside activertys.The food was good to. Can not remember much else.....

I have just come across this thread because for some reason I have been thinking about the Lomax's who were in charge of Fairthorne when I was there. I was there for a month because I was underweight the Headmaster of our school (Carfield) was Mr Edlington and he asked me if I would ask my parents if I could go - and I went - I remember it as idyllic - set in the countryside - food lovely - lots to do - Lomax's really good house parents - I remember playing tennis with David Lomax (wonder where he is?) and I could read all day if I liked - we went walking a lot and again I can remember all going a very long walk to somebody's house we all had a drink and then came home in the dusk.

I am sorry to say I wasn't homesick and I didn't want to go home!

Never mind!!

I remember the Lomax family. David and Daphne? If that is correct, they used to go to my 'Aunt and Uncles' house quite often as their son had gone to Fairthorne for a spell in the very early 60's? My uncle then took a very keen interest in the place for many years after that even when it became the Home Farm Trust.

..............I think my mind is playing tricks (again?!) David and Daphnes name was I think Lennox, past managers of Fairthorne

Yes - sorry it was Lennox - they were such good people - Grandad who came to visit - a vicar -was not a nice person - he was such a snob and pointed out that the children in the home should not get too close to the Lennox's daughter - I think he thought that she might catch 'being poor'

I was in Fairthorne around 1957 I only remember 1 person a nurse Townsend,she was a very nice person. I had been in the childrens hospital having gall stones removed I was 7 at that time, they sent me to Fairthorne to build me up.

my sister joyce sorsby was went there a couple of times patricia

Does anyone remember Fairthorn when Home Farm Trust took it over?Or anyone work there then?

shebba