2 out of 3 disability claimants could work

Looks like most people on incapacity benefits wont be for much longer.

According to reports, only 1 in 3 people claiming can not work, the rest "The others were either deemed capable of working immediately or, with suitable help and support, in the forseeable future."

I think this is proof to the sceptics that this test was needed.

Good to know that only people who deserve it will receive these benefits in the future.

Source.

According to reports, only 1 in 3 people claiming can not work, the rest "The others were either deemed capable of working immediately or, with suitable help and support, in the forseeable future."

Good to know that only people who deserve it will receive these benefits in the future.

Source.

The biggest benefit is accrued by the private sector firms who do the tests,and are incentivised to pass people fit.It is another example of creating private sector opportunities to sponge big style.

The figures look a lot less impressive when you factor in how many of those decisions are overturned on appeal, though.

What about the idle rich young people who have never worked? Should not we force them into work in times of hardship for our country? Or is it ok that they have very wealthy parents and simply live off them? In the final analysis isn't it really us who keeps the scrounging upper classes?:)

What about the idle rich young people who have never worked? Should not we force them into work in times of hardship for our country? Or is it ok that they have very wealthy parents and simply live off them? In the final analysis isn't it really us who keeps the scrounging upper classes?:)

The basic problem is that we are not, in this country, or any western country, keeping the so called upper classes.

They have cleverly arranged it that they keep themselves.

It was invented in this country, at the same time as the industrial revolution was taking place.

It is called Capitalism.

It is modern slavery, where the slaves have to feed themselves, or die.

The Pharoahs were more humane.

At least they fed their slaves.

I'd hold fire on that assumption. the test they use is clearly not fit for purpose, the amount of appeals that go through will skew that and if it doesn't expect a lot of people to kick off. Not workshy lazy people, people who genuinely can't work yet get deemed 'fit to work' in a half hour visit.

As one of the disabled who will fall into the "fit for work" test, I feel able to comment on this topic.

To the health care professional who will assess me, come and walk a mile in my shoes before making your decision.

I was once like you, in the future you may become like me.

Angel.

Explain this one. This so-called "medical" test deemed someone "fit for work" who had a severe spinal injury, cannot walk with out the aid of 2 walking sticks at all and can only walk a short distance, for longer journies they use a mobility scooter.

2 real doctors (a GP and a consultant) have stated that this individual's medical condition prevents the individual from being able to work however ATOS gave him a ZERO score & in HALF the remarks made in the report aboutt his health were NOT assessed.

I get that there are people on the sick that COULD work but this scheme is akin to the 17th century Salem witch hunts & just about as well informed.

I'd be careful of criticising ATOS, they are extremely sensitive to any criticism. Lat year they got extremely upset about a single comment on the website carerwatch and then proceeded to get the website closed down last year. After an outcry from disabled people and their carers, the forum was then allowed to go up & running again.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/08/atos-bullies-carerwatch-forum/

You have been warned....

Explain this one. This so-called "medical" test deemed someone "fit for work" who had a severe spinal injury, cannot walk with out the aid of 2 walking sticks at all and can only walk a short distance, for longer journies they use a mobility scooter.

2 real doctors (a GP and a consultant) have stated that this individual's medical condition prevents the individual from being able to work however ATOS gave him a ZERO score & in HALF the remarks made in the report aboutt his health were NOT assessed.

I get that there are people on the sick that COULD work but this scheme is akin to the 17th century Salem witch hunts & just about as well informed.

That's the thing with these tests, they aren't applyable to the real world. essentially if you can turn up you are fit for work.

They seem to see it as you could work in some ideal job where your disability is taken into account, you can choose your own hours, if you're not feeling too well you can take the day off, etc. etc. but this isn't reality, all they are doing is forcing people onto the dole. Personally myself and my doctor think I am currently not fit for work. If there was a job that fits in with my needs and problems then yes I would take it, but that doesn't deem someone 'fit for work' because it is all too encompasing.

What with the job centre now actively trying to sanction people you can see who would be the first people targeted. It's disgusting.