ATOS and where the real money is spent.

The sad fact is most of the medical assesors are not qualified doctors, but are trained healthcare professioanals, (whatever that means)

have you seen the job spec for the role with ATOS ?

some of the assessors are Medical Practitioners (Doctors), the 'healthcare professionals' you refer to in dismissive terms are Registered Nurses, Physiotherpaists and Occupational Therapists ...

What makes you think that Medical practitioners (Doctors) are better at taking a history and performing functional examinations that other Registered health Professionals, at this point in time it's worth while to point out that Nurses, Physios and OTs have been performing these kind of assessments from week 1, day 1 of their professional education ...

Assessments for DLA / ESA etc are not about diagnoses they are about the individual and their functional ability, consequently , and contrary to some of the ill informed propaganda being put about , the assessment process does not attempt to negate diagnoses from Consultants and GPs ...

I'm quoting the 2010/11 report, not the 2004/05 one. It does break down over and under-payments by claimant error and departmental error.

I think (I don't have it open at the moment) that the JSA fraud rate is around 3.5%.

ETA: If you look here, http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/fem/fem_apr10_mar11.pdf, (released last week), in Table 2.1 you will see the fraud and error rates for different benefits.

DLA fraud is 0.5%, customer error (no fraudulent intent) 0.6%, and official error 0.8%.

Edited by lolli_pop
Added information

On the money. I was diagnosed by a Consultant Neurosurgion, under the "new rules" my health is now been checked by an Atos trained healthcare professional - whatever they are.

I despair, spent Christmas and my 62 birthday worried about the outcome, and am still waiting for the results.

Angel.

diagnosis of a medical condition does not correlate directly with your functional ability - for any given diagnosis there is a huge range of functional ability

a Healthcare professional is exactly that it includes Medical Practitioners (Doctors), Nurses and Midwives, the 13 HPC regulated professions plus pharmacists etc

in terms of the Healthcare professionals using in DSA/ESA assessments the job description primarily relates to Doctors, Nurses, Physiotherpaists and Occupational Therapists ...

in terms of the Healthcare professionals using in DSA/ESA assessments the job description primarily relates to Doctors, Nurses, Physiotherpaists and Occupational Therapists ...

Twelve doctors employed by the firm that is paid £100m a year to assess people claiming disability benefit are under investigation by the General Medical Council over allegations of improper conduct. (Link)

Perhaps they would be better getting nurses and physios to do all assessments.

I'm quoting the 2010/11 report, not the 2004/05 one. It does break down over and under-payments by claimant error and departmental error.

I think (I don't have it open at the moment) that the JSA fraud rate is around 3.5%.

ETA: If you look here, http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/fem/fem_apr10_mar11.pdf, (released last week), in Table 2.1 you will see the fraud and error rates for different benefits.

DLA fraud is 0.5%, customer error (no fraudulent intent) 0.6%, and official error 0.8%.

I'm glad you posted that because I was just about to. Whenever a minister talks about making these changes to benefits because of fraud they are lying to every one of us.