Black bins to go fortnightly?

I think fortnightly collections WILL happen.

Recycling into one bin and losing the blue boxes that were never fit for purpose is a move forward - it seems separation is not a problem any more - don't understand that really.

It would help if Veolia would replace missing bin lids on their collection rounds - there are many idiots who continue to use the bins without the lids and we all suffer the resulting smell and vermin.

The Government offer of an unknown contribution for the first year with the offer being conditional upon Councils committing to weekly bin collections for five years was always an underhand tactic - typical of politicians.

'Elf 'n Safety, innit?

Not really

If the bin lifting mechanism broke due to repeated overloading and your bin wasn't emptied, you'd be moaning that they didn't have an automatic overloading warning

And of course they are just lowly binmen, not deserving of health or personal safety and should risk personal injury for your convenience.

Not really

If the bin lifting mechanism broke due to repeated overloading and your bin wasn't emptied, you'd be moaning that they didn't have an automatic overloading warning

If that happened , i suppose a little old fashioned maunal Labour is too much to ask ?

It is possible to actually lift a bin into the truck by hand you know , the binmen did it with no problems for many ,many years

I remember when I was a kid in Sheffield the bin men used to come round to the back of the house with a large galvanised tub and empty our bin into it then lifting it onto his shoulder he walked round to empty another bin into his tub then lifted the tub and carried it to the bin wagon and lifted it over the side and tipped it in with the other rubbish.

He must have eaten 2 Weetabix for his breakfast.

Sorry for the worlds longest sentence.

There are quite a few old men who worked in employment involving heavy lifting without proper consideration, "macho" working environments encouraged lifting of things that shouldn't really be lifted.

They now have issues affecting their mobility and quality of life and unable to enjoy their well-earned retirement as much as they should.

If that happened , i suppose a little old fashioned maunal Labour is too much to ask ?

It is possible to actually lift a bin into the truck by hand you know , the binmen did it with no problems for many ,many years

The bins I remember them doing that with were a lot smaller than today's wheelie bins..

The bins I remember them doing that with were a lot smaller than today's wheelie bins..

Agreed............

They were probably a third of the size.

So logically we could have three weekly collections.:hihi:

There are quite a few old men who worked in employment involving heavy lifting without proper consideration, "macho" working environments encouraged lifting of things that shouldn't really be lifted.

They now have issues affecting their mobility and quality of life and unable to enjoy their well-earned retirement as much as they should.

Spot on mate !!! We had it all. Hard graft, called a cissy or a poofter if we complained. Dangerous conditions with dust and gas levels far too high. Same again, called names if we complained. Now a good few of us are knackered, life expectancy reduced. The good old days ???................:(

sheffield city council are looking into changing (hoping to) black bin collections to fortnighly collections.any views or opinions?

I'm in favour of it, although we (household of 3) might have to go back to a full-sized black bin. (We switched to a small one a few years ago.)

Fortnightly collections encourages people to recycle more and saves money. It's mainly lazy people who complain.

I just wish we could get wheelie bins for paper and card instead of the crappy "boxes with hats". The elastic failed within a few months so the hats wouldn't stay on, and now the plastic has degraded and bits of blue are littering the neighbourhood in addition to the bits of paper.

I feel sorry for the binmen who have to take the bricks off the hats in order to empty the boxes, then lift them, instead of just wheeling a bin to the back of the lorry and pushing the button.

Its a shame if it goes to 2 weeks but if the coffers are empty......

Spot on mate !!! We had it all. Hard graft, called a cissy or a poofter if we complained. Dangerous conditions with dust and gas levels far too high. Same again, called names if we complained. Now a good few of us are knackered, life expectancy reduced. The good old days ???................:(

And we lived in a cardboard box in't road.