Jobs to be lost at Sheffield's recycling centres

I pay my council tax just like everyone eles will we get a reduction?? And I use the site to help my disabled neighbor with 5 kids who could fill there black bin in a day . And for been juvenile stall I let them live in squalor??

No, just go when the site is open, like you do now.

is this true, if so , why did i apply for 2 jobs with vieola last week ?

they surely cant be cutting job and hiring people ??? doesnt make sense

Makes perfect sense. The "redundant" may not be permanent staff so they are laid off before completing 2 years and so avoiding costly payouts. Then they are simply replaced.

Welcome to GB 2011.

Regards

Angel.

Council's are ridiculous in their way of thinking. Not only have they created the problem, they insure it's continuation.

Exactly .............. fly tipping wasnt an issue before the councils came up with the stupid idea of banning large vans. Now look at the amount of rubbish tipped everywhere, rubbish ,which had it not been for the councils idiotic scheme of banning vans ,would have been tipped at the dump it sites........... NOT DOWN COUNTRY LANES.

The council have brought this on themselves ,and the problem will get a lot worse ,unless the councils use common sense ( I know , council decision making and common sense dont usually go together), and reverse this madness and allow ALL vans into the tips.

Should the Dump-It sites be put out to tender?

Do you think that the private sector would do a more customer focussed and more profitable job at running the council sites while paying the Council for the privilege?

I think i'd prefer the council to keep it, they only need to rethink their strategy.

Why does the council need to keep it?

Cost mainly. I don't begrudge paying a small fee but I think it will progress to silly amounts if it was taken up by another body.

sheffield already has the 2nd worse fly tipping problems in the country after Liverpool

I would be happy to pay a small charge if it meant keeping the sites open longer and preventing redundancies.

Published on Monday 5 December 2011 09:41

Lib Dem criticise £20,000 cost of sending letter to every household

LETTERS are this week set to drop through the doors of 200,000 Sheffield households from council leader Julie Dore asking residents for their views on how the authority should save up to £57 million over the 2012/12 financial year.

Sheffield Council’s Labour administration has launched the consultation exercise as it works on its proposed budget.

The four-sided leaflet asks people what services they think the council should protect and where the axe should fall.

The only aspects of the council’s work which are protected from savings are statutory duties such as child protection work and areas of social services.

Opposition Lib Dems have criticised the cost of the exercise, with the bill for sending out the letters set to be around £20,000.

But Coun Dore said: “We’re facing the toughest times in probably a generation. Sheffielders are known for their pragmatic approach to dealing with difficult problems. It is that honest, no nonsense thinking that makes Sheffield a great place and that is why I have written to local people to ask for their ideas and outline what we are facing financially.

“Looking out for each other and that sense of community and neighbourliness is something special about the city and I would want to tap into that spirit and ask Sheffielders to pull together with us.”

The council says the letter is an ‘important step’ in the budget planning and provides background information to help people to understand the scale of the financial challenges the council is facing and how it plans to prioritise spending.

It also highlights some difficult issues for the authority in having to put more than £10m aside to pay for up to 690 redundancies the council will have to make next year.

The letter, which has cost around 9p per household to produce, has a freepost feedback slip to return and all responses will be considered by councillors ahead of the budget which will be approved in March. The deadline for responses to the letter is January 6, 2012.

Coun Dore said no decisions have yet been taken on what cuts should be made over the next year - but the authority has had a head start in making savings in 2012/13, with £12 million recouped from the cost of the Highways PFI resurfacing scheme through changing borrowing arrangements, £15 million of efficiencies identified before any services have to be cut, and a predicted underspend of £1.4 million in the 2011/12 financial year.

........ with £12 million recouped from the cost of the Highways PFI resurfacing scheme through changing borrowing arrangements, £15 million of efficiencies identified before any services have to be cut, ....

Why aren't managers sacked for allowing such overspends to have been planned?