Jobs to be lost at Sheffield's recycling centres

The article from the Star says the tips make £100k per annum selling recycling, but cost a lot more than that to run. I don't think the actual running costs are quoted, but if making a third of staff redundant could save £390,000, this suggests the figure is around 1.2 million per annum.

So the question is, if you want the tip to stay open as it is now, how would you suggest the council save £390,000?

Less road repairs?

Larger classes in schools so they can make a few teachers redundant instead?

Close a couple of libraries?

You decide?

Am fuming at this so i can only take my rubbish when council say so what ever next so unreal feel sorry far all the guys who work there more people on the dole cheers council well done ?

I know how you feel. It irks me that I can only go shopping when they're open as well.

is this true, if so , why did i apply for 2 jobs with vieola last week ?

they surely cant be cutting job and hiring people ??? doesnt make sense

It doesent make sense because its not Veolia thats cutting these jobs, its the new subcontractor that doesent want the staff.

vans arent banned, you just have to ring them in advance and tell them your reg plate and name,

Long Wheel Base vans ARE NOT allowed in at all. You cant even get the book of 12 tickets for a LWB van , so the only option left open to people with LWB vans is to fly tip .

Yep , well done Sheffield council for another stupid idea.

Long Wheel Base vans ARE NOT allowed in at all. You cant even get the book of 12 tickets for a LWB van , so the only option left open to people with LWB vans is to fly tip .

Yep , well done Sheffield council for another stupid idea.

This is the only option other than paying i take it!

The dumpit sites are intended for domestic waste. Commercial waste is subject to different conditions and they're onerous. Anyone arriving with a larger vehicle will be assumed to be carrying commercial waste.

See; http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/commercialandbusinesswaste and http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/commercialandbusinesswaste/newrulesbusiness

My brother's business (not in Sheffield) produces varied waste and he tells me the regulations drive him crackers! He has segregated piles of this and that all round his yard. But he can see the reasons why they've been imposed.

This is the only option other than paying i take it!

Why should someone have to pay to dispose of their OWN PRIVATE items just because they happen to drive a LWB van ,when another person who drives a car can dispose of the exact same items at the council tip for FREE. ?:huh:

The dumpit sites are intended for domestic waste. Commercial waste is subject to different conditions and they're onerous. Anyone arriving with a larger vehicle will be assumed to be carrying commercial waste.

See; http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/commercialandbusinesswaste and http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/commercialandbusinesswaste/newrulesbusiness

My brother's business (not in Sheffield) produces varied waste and he tells me the regulations drive him crackers! He has segregated piles of this and that all round his yard. But he can see the reasons why they've been imposed.

Not all people who drive large vans generate commercial waste.

What about people like someone who owns a shop ,and has a large van to go to the market to but goods for their shop ,or a market trader who has to have a large van . Both of which more than likely only own one vehicle (IE, the van), but arnt allowed to dispose of their PRIVATE waste .

Why should someone have to pay to dispose of their OWN PRIVATE items just because they happen to drive a LWB van ,when another person who drives a car can dispose of the exact same items at the council tip for FREE. ?:huh:

If YOU choose to fly tip i.e. commit a criminal offence, you have no one to blame but yourself. In any case, if you live in Penistone you live in Barnsley so stop coming to Sheffield with your rubbish.

If YOU choose to fly tip i.e. commit a criminal offence, you have no one to blame but yourself. In any case, if you live in Penistone you live in Barnsley so stop coming to Sheffield with your rubbish.

Where have i said i fly tipped ? . :loopy:

Also , im perfectly entitled to use any of the sheffield dump it sites .

Where have i said i fly tipped ? . :loopy:

Also , im perfectly entitled to use any of the sheffield dump it sites .

You said "so the only option left open to people with LWB vans is to fly tip". You brought in the issue of fly tipping as though it were justified. As you live in Barnsley why not find out what Barnsley's policies are and concentrate on them instead of justifying fly tipping. If you can afford to live in Penistone you can afford to take your rubbish to a tip.

If someone has a shop or market stall they will generate commercial waste and will have to dispose of that commercially with a certificated waste carrier. http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/commercialandbusinesswaste/newrulesbusiness

Have they no friends with a suitable vehicle? Maybe their commercial waste carrier should remove the rest if they can't make use of a car.

Incidentally, a lot of people have no car or van, so a LWB van means nothing to them. Maybe we should think of them a bit more?

It's a hard life!!