Occupy Sheffield Cathedral

do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?  

599 members have voted

1. 1. do you think the protesters deserve to stay ?

• yes, and they should be encouraged to stay
    • no, and they should be evicted by the church

So I still do not understand, why are people protesting outside cathedrals and forcing the closure of those places of worship along with the charities based there?

Occupy is in thousands of cities all over the world. Checkout http://www.occupytogether.org/

If your really interested in what are they about. I suggest you read their press releases : http://occupylsx.org/?cat=53

Or just laugh at the fools in Sheffield that think they are making a difference.

I plan to go down every day next week, point at them and openly laugh out loud, as loud as I can. They make me laugh. Come along if you want, join me. It will be fun.

I just might do that ;)

and the Church should be speaking out more forcefully against the banks and the Establishment.

Since when did religion come in to banking?

No idea, but to some extent (and if rumours are to be believed vodafone don't pay enough tax) it's a valid protest. Annoying for customers but at least vaguely righteous. Better than camping outside a church anyway.

Not annoying if i want to go in and pay my bill. I will simply knock whoever enters my personal space on their arse.

I shall kick anyone who's in my way when I go to the charity Christmas card shop in the cathedral!

How very Christian.:hihi:

I suppose you're happy about the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer? How do you feel about charities having governmental support withdrawn, whilst bankers are getting more from them?

Are you familiar with this quote, Irene?....

“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.”

― Hélder Câmara

Or just laugh at the fools in Sheffield that think they are making a difference.

I like your logic, now i have a whole new way of looking at the inhabitants of Sheffield who think they're making a difference :thumbsup:

Good luck to Occupy Sheffield in their protest against Corporate scumdogs Sheffield Cathederal.

Edited by mj.scuba

If they are still there on Remembrance Sunday then they should be moved. If they disrupt the acts of Remembrance in any way they should be arrested.

Good luck to Occupy Sheffield in their protest against Corporate scumdogs Sheffield Cathederal.

"Corporate scumdogs"! of the host of the Archer Project?

Not many people are at this protest but they still think they have the right to gob off and inconvenience others, why is it suddenly a problem when people express an opinion about the church.

To occupy a church's property in the run up to rememberance weekend, advent and Christmas for a protest which isn't against the church and doesn't really concern it is disrespectful and plain nasty and smacks of picking on an easy target when they don't actually have the guts to take on the banks.

It's also monumentally hypocritical when that church in particular is doing an awful lot to help those worst hit by a recession in practical ways whereas turning up and inconveniencing worshippers and getting ratted in public (which protesters themselves are complaining about on the facebook page) smacks of self indulgence and is not doing anything to help anybody.

They're outside the cathedral because they're gutless and don't have the balls to take on the banks because they know if they rock up on their property they'll have no problem dealing with them and there is a large chance they'll end up with a criminal record. Which of course they can't possibly have when they want to be a lecturer when they graduate - and of course Mummy would be very cross if she had to put the labradors in the car and drive all the way up from Bucks if they got arrested.

Might your idea of guts be exercising vitriol against soft targets from behind a keyboard?

I shall kick anyone who's in my way when I go to the charity Christmas card shop in the cathedral!

How very christian of you.

To address the 'get a job' brigade. Most of the people demonstrating either with Uk Uncut or Ocuupy Sheffield DO have paid empoloyment i can assure you.

This is why you will notice that there will be more people occupying at evenings and weekends than Monday-Friday 9-5. For those of us who are unable to occupy due to work/family/health commitments, we will be supporting Occupy in anyway we can.

It seems odd that if people aren't seen to be in tents all night then they 'aren't committed and are just going home to warm beds' and if they are 'they should get a job'.

were these the same lot who blocked the enterance to the vodaphone shop in town today?

It was some of the same people. The protest outside of vodaphone and topshop was organised by Sheffield Uncut. This is because Vodaphone owes 6 billion pounds in unpaid tax. I pay my tax and I'm sure you pay yours.

http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/targets/4

If they are still there on Remembrance Sunday then they should be moved. If they disrupt the acts of Remembrance in any way they should be arrested.

Agreed. Hopefully they have already been warned to begone by then.