Should I look for a job or go to uni?

I was wondering if theres anyone on here who could give me some advice regarding what sort of Career/Job I should look into doing. Should I just look for a regular 9-5 job or should I consider going on a course?

As everyones aware trying to get a job at the min is hard, especially for ages (18-25) Iv'e been lookin for quite a while now for a job and still no luck, and I dont really enjoy sponging of other people via the JSA.

With having no luck finding a job, i've been thinking about doing a course at college/uni but is it worth it? As your still not guaranteed a job once you've graduated. But on the other hand its better than sat doing nothing. Im really into design and art and wouldnt mind learning graphic design amongst other things, I have a few friends at uni and they say its the best thing they've ever done. But I just cant make my mind up on what I should do :confused:

go to college/uni m8, there aint no jobs and there aint going to be none for a while yet

In my honest opinion, you would be best advised not to go to uni. As it is there are loads of graduates in the same boat as you are now but with a job lot of debt to boot. I would see if you can get a job and work your way up. This depressed world that we are in is the new normal I'm afraid, its not going to get any better for yonks. Unless you want to study medicine that is

I did not go to University and am sure did not miss a thing. I now run my own business as a later life planner and more qualified than most graduates in my chosen profession

Get a job! Uni is overrated IMO.

Also, you know what people on here are like about people who don't work for money for a living.

With having no luck finding a job, i've been thinking about doing a course at college/uni but is it worth it?

Absolutely, best time ever.

As your still not guaranteed a job once you've graduated.

Just as it has always been, however, any employer given the choice of someone who's more educated than the next person, who would you choose?

But I just cant make my mind up on what I should do :confused:

Go to Uni, it looks good on a CV next to your new qualification and you have a great time while there.

Get a job! Uni is overrated IMO.

Sorry, just spat my coffee out...

In my honest opinion, you would be best advised not to go to uni. As it is there are loads of graduates in the same boat as you are now but with a job lot of debt to boot. I would see if you can get a job and work your way up. This depressed world that we are in is the new normal I'm afraid, its not going to get any better for yonks. Unless you want to study medicine that is

I did not go to University and am sure did not miss a thing. I now run my own business as a later life planner and more qualified than most graduates in my chosen profession

That may be because later life planners are very scarce and untypical.Do you plan your own life as a job or help others sort out stairlifts and mobility aids?

what about doing both? they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. get yourself on a course and keep job hunting... you'll be better placed to actually get the job if you can demonstrate that you're committed and working towards a qualification. and if no jobs come up then at least you've got some extra ammunition under your belt. imagine how annoyed you'd be if you're still unemployed at the end of the time it would have taken you to do the course anyway.

courses also offer a lot more than just a qualification; they offer support, careers guidance, networking opportunities etc etc. and.. if you decide it isn't for you after all then you can always leave.

good luck with whatever you decide :)

I reckon you might be best off looking for an apprenticeship with an engineering firm, perhaps on the advanced manufacturing park?

Unless you want to study a proper subject (Maths, Science...)

And you can't really go wrong by working.

Failing that, you could always chop off your legs and claim benefits, if you don't get full rate DLA for being physically disabled, you could sure as hell get it for being mental!

... But I just cant make my mind up on what I should do :confused:

No one can make your mind up for you. Thank - hard - about what you want to do, whether you're up to doing it (graphic design, for example, is very competitive), and what qualifications are needed in order to do it. Would entry into that profession be out of the question without a degree in an appropriate subject? If so, do you need to get any FE qualifications in order to gain entry to the degree course? Would you qualify as a mature student (are you 21 or over?) and so qualify for more flexible entrance requirements? If you're interested in art subjects, do you have a suitable portfolio of work?

Don't drift into higher education as a last resort, or because you can't find anything else to do. If you're not that motivated there's a good chance that you'll drop out before your first year is up.

I agree with chem1st.

An apprenticeship is a good option.

There are a variety of apprenticeships available - whether you're interests lie in the field of science, catering, craft or social care.

There are a number of routes into appreticeships. Try either Connexions, Sheffield College or other training providers to ensure you get the right apprenticeship for you.

Incidentally you do need some minimum qualifications to do some apprenticeships (usually literacy & numeracy levels 2 /3 depending on what you want to do).

Good luck.

Make a list of pros and cons of going to uni, then consider your options.