Should I look for a job or go to uni?

So your opinion of university life is based on not going to university at all. That's rather like saying "Beer is rubbish but I've never tried it".

I'm sure your advice will be very useful to everyone. So what's your opinion of Lapland as a holiday destination?

Cool honey cool!

Or my Brother, went to Sunderland Uni 20 years ago at 18, got a good degree in IT, now 38 he works for Glaxo-Smithkline in London, and is married with a 3 year old son and a 9 month old daughter.

My gran worked for Glaxo-Smith -Klein as a cleaner,and she went to Ulverston Cleaning and Laundry Academy(UCLA)

Your son will set up a company but due to poor education will ubndertake dangerous loans and go into liquidation.his health will failas his ignorance leads him to eschew the wearing of masks etc.He gets a disease due to the inhalation of MDF fibres and exposure to white asbestos;poor eyesight means he can no longer measure accurately and he ends up working for a shopfitters who sack him and replace him with a Polish graduate who has learnt carpentry in his spare time.Your son blames his father who set low goals,anxious that his son should achieve more than he had.

I know it's all tongue in cheek but that's quite a spiteful post really.

Your son will set up a company but due to poor education will ubndertake dangerous loans and go into liquidation.his health will failas his ignorance leads him to eschew the wearing of masks etc.He gets a disease due to the inhalation of MDF fibres and exposure to white asbestos;poor eyesight means he can no longer measure accurately and he ends up working for a shopfitters who sack him and replace him with a Polish graduate who has learnt carpentry in his spare time.Your son blames his father who set low goals,anxious that his son should achieve more than he had.

haha true.

branson, sugar, bill gates (left before graduating)

al;l did terrible didnt they.

apart from a very few people uni is for those who dont know what they want to do in life but want a few more yrs to think about it.

anyone driven will succeed. wether its uni or a job. if they have the right mindset they will do well.

if the OP does not have that driven mindset why on earth would they want to start their adult life 20k in debt. go get a job. see what sort of an adult he becomes and then mayeb he will know what he wants to do and can set out to achieve it. but paying 20k to think about it is nuts.

i must be doing somehting terrible. i have everything i want. i work about 90 days a yr. spend almost 3 months a yr in the alps. and as i said earlier own a couple of houses which i bought cash. i am 47 yrs old and can say for certain NONE of my mates who went to uni are in the same position. but many of the tradesmen i served an apprenticeship with years ago are living the life.

my son wont fail through lack of education, i wait to hear how a fine art degree, a history degree, even a medical degree can help with managing a business. and the worlds best business managers did NOT take a business management degree.

I'd say any degree helps with life in general, but there is nothing like actually doing it.

Think carefully about Uni as it will cost thousands in tution fees and living expenses.

I did Business and it was useful as a learning process, think of Uni like that, education is a still a good thing. Just dont mess around on a second rate course.

Definately dont get a 'job'. Waste of precious time, your better off being a broke and homeless artist, seriously. If there is a career you are passionate about- doctor etc. thats a different story.

haha true.

branson, sugar, bill gates (left before graduating)

al;l did terrible didnt they.

Branson had immense advantages due to wealthy parents,Sugar is an arrogant fool who does not understand how to use his wealth but Bill Gates has contributed to technology and used his wealth to uplift others.However you cannot choose three exceptional examples to demonstrate a point.Moreover the benefits of a good education is not measured simply in monetary terms but in developing other qualities and dimensions such as taste and judgement.

Branson had immense advantages due to wealthy parents,Sugar is an arrogant fool who does not understand how to use his wealth but Bill Gates has contributed to technology and used his wealth to uplift others.However you cannot choose three exceptional examples to demonstrate a point.Moreover the benefits of a good education is not measured simply in monetary terms but in developing other qualities and dimensions such as taste and judgement.
You mean like John Prescott?

If it is a proper old fashioned type of apprenticeship (ie, 4 years on the job, proper training and a clip round the ear for bad behavior) then without doubt, anyone who does not take this opportunity to learn a trade is out of there minds in this day and age.

Proper tradesmen are like rocking horse poo in this day and age, very rare and earn big money.

HOwever, I have heard many bad things about these "modern apprenticeships" which are not up to the same standards as the aprenticships of the past.

As for Uni? well, a degree always looks good on a CV, for a young person it is a chance to spread there wings, spend 3 years among other people of the same age, enjoy themselves and I don;t care what people say, a person with a degree will always have a better chance in the job market than someone without a degree.

Taking any job? working in a factory for min wage, getting taxed to the eyeballs, not having enough money to pay even the basics in life, working alongside bitter people, early morining starts. night shifts, working so hard you are physically tired? why would any young 18 year old want to become old before there time?

NO - go to uni, have a good time, meet new friends of your own age, spend 3 years away from your parents and get a degree. TAke part in pjarma partys, cross the roads in front of cars forcing them to stop, take ages deciding what drink you want to buy in starbucks and take part in environmental protests (some good looking women take part in these)

If a proper apprenticeship comes your way - TAKE THAT OPTION over anything else.

AVOID - modern apprenticeships and definatly avoid being a wage slave in a factory at the age of 18 (unless you enjoy mixing with miserable middle aged people)

Edited by love_rat

You mean like John Prescott?

Yes Big John was with me at Ruskin College on a semen scholarship sponsored by his union the NUS.We shared our text-books with one Bernard Neustadt,now Bernard Manning.Not many realise Bernard was a Literature scholar who could not get enough of Luxemburg and Bronte.Bernard loved music and real .

If it is a proper old fashioned type of apprenticeship (ie, 4 years on the job, proper training and a clip round the ear for bad behavior) then without doubt, anyone who does not take this opportunity to learn a trade is out of there minds in this day and age.

Proper tradesmen are like rocking horse poo in this day and age, very rare and earn big money.

HOwever, I have heard many bad things about these "modern apprenticeships" which are not up to the same standards as the aprenticships of the past.

As for Uni? well, a degree always looks good on a CV, for a young person it is a chance to spread there wings, spend 3 years among other people of the same age, enjoy themselves and I don;t care what people say, a person with a degree will always have a better chance in the job market than someone without a degree.

Taking any job? working in a factory for min wage, getting taxed to the eyeballs, not having enough money to pay even the basics in life, working alongside bitter people, early morining starts. night shifts, working so hard you are physically tired? why would any young 18 year old want to become old before there time?

NO - go to uni, have a good time, meet new friends of your own age, spend 3 years away from your parents and get a degree. TAke part in pjarma partys, cross the roads in front of cars forcing them to stop, take ages deciding what drink you want to buy in starbucks and take part in environmental protests (some good looking women take part in these)

If a proper apprenticeship comes your way - TAKE THAT OPTION over anything else.

AVOID - modern apprenticeships and definatly avoid being a wage slave in a factory at the age of 18 (unless you enjoy mixing with miserable middle aged people)

You must improve your portrayal of the miserable middle aged-even you could end up like that:hihi:

Apprenticeships are a complete waste of time, all they do is provide a monkey with skills to do a specific job. What happens when that job is no longer needed or the market is overskilled e.g. plumber, electrician or whatever. Go to university and learn how to learn.