Should I look for a job or go to uni?

Leave your options open. Get a job and study part time. Open university degrees are now regarded as a better qualification than "ordinary" university degrees anyhow.:)

That way you do not get into debt and get an education superior to "ordinary" university degrees anyhow. Most people have an "ordinary" uni degree anyhow. Anyone can get one.:cool:

Have you thought of looking at the Open University? If you start on a course before September 2012, then you keep the existing fee structure throughout your entire degree, after September 2012, it will be double.

You can do an open university degree and get a job as well.

my son. 23yrs old. tradesman joiner no debt earning £25000

my sons mates 23yrs old uni graduates. £20,000 debt. earning a pittance.

not hard to work out who made the right choice.

Or my nephew. Degree in chemistry. Now 27 and working for an oil company at £85K/yr.

Or my Brother, went to Sunderland Uni 20 years ago at 18, got a good degree in IT, now 38 he works for Glaxo-Smithkline in London, and is married with a 3 year old son and a 9 month old daughter.

Edited by Rich

As others have said, don't just drift into university go there with a goal in mind otherwise you will end up, like many others with a degree and a bucket load of debt working at a call centre. Ring round a few tattooists and see if they would be interested in training you - might not be as stupid as it sounds.

EDIT : and if that website in your sig is all your own work, push that harder, as that's pretty awesome. You should be able to earn a living doing that.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Go to uni as you will reach a stage where your salary won't go up unless you have one.

Or my Brother, went to Sunderland Uni 20 years ago at 18, got a good degree in IT, now 38 he works for Glaxo-Smithkline in London, and is married with a 3 year old son and a 9 month old daughter.

So going to uni guaratees that you have two kids?:huh:

Go to uni as you will reach a stage where your salary won't go up unless you have one.

If by one you mean a degree, I would suggest that going to uni does not guarantee that you get a degree.:)

Genuine question: Is this an argument for or against? :huh:

Genuine question: Is this an argument for or against? :huh:

Rich advised against it and has now mentioned his brother went to uni and ended up married.

really?

my son 63 will own his own company. and as a hard working bloke he will be making 40k in a few yrs.

his health wont suffer because he wont be sitting down all day in front of a computer, he will be active and fit.

he already 10 yrs ahead of his mates and will be buying his first house this yr.

his mates will be 40 before they even get to having a deposit.

University is brilliant if someone is aiming high. but for the majority its a short cut to debt and an average income.

i didnt bother with uni. left school at 16.

have been self employed for years, own a couple of houses, paid for them cash.

i see two groups of graduates in my life.

my doctor. keeps me alive if i am ever unwell

the kid who serves in the take away with the media studies degree.

to the OP.

if your clever enough to be doctor/lawyer etc then go to uni. if your not look for a job.

Your son will set up a company but due to poor education will ubndertake dangerous loans and go into liquidation.his health will failas his ignorance leads him to eschew the wearing of masks etc.He gets a disease due to the inhalation of MDF fibres and exposure to white asbestos;poor eyesight means he can no longer measure accurately and he ends up working for a shopfitters who sack him and replace him with a Polish graduate who has learnt carpentry in his spare time.Your son blames his father who set low goals,anxious that his son should achieve more than he had.

Only consider teaching if you really want to teach. Otherwise you'll probably be back to square one and looking for another profession within 5 years, like 50% of newly qualified teachers.

It only takes the really dedicated.

and those unable to consider an alternative.