Living in Penistone - Good or bad idea??

I wouldn't let a couple of pubs put you off. Most of Barnsley is like that. Penistone is the more enlightened end of town. You should see Goldthorpe.

Penistone's not really a village. It's an old market town that's been swallowed up by Barnsley but has kept its own identity. There are some lovely villages not too far away - Cawthorne and Hoylandswaine, for example. If you have unlimited funds I'd go for Cawthorne although expect to still be treated as an outsider in 30 years.

The school's are alright but Penistone Grammar's not really a grammar. The 29 bus is every 2 hours to Sheffield and the trains hourly, but they do miss. The station is very high up so you can imagine how cold it can be in winter.

how many people live in Penistone? can they all be wrong?

Yep think we've driven through it, will have to stop off to check both pubs out the next time we're checking the area out.

It's all down to what you want from life, if you want a nice friendly place to raise a family, with all the needs met, gorgeous countryside then Penistone is for you. If you want footy hooligans at a weekend, crowds, areas where you may be afraid to go after dark and nightclubs aplenty, then I would say Sheffield may be a better bet for you, or better still, its suburbs.

Regards

Angel.

It's all down to what you want from life, if you want a nice friendly place to raise a family, with all the needs met, gorgeous countryside then Penistone is for you. If you want footy hooligans at a weekend, crowds, areas where you may be afraid to go after dark and nightclubs aplenty, then I would say Sheffield may be a better bet for you, or better still, its suburbs.

Regards

Angel.

That's a bit sweeping, Sheffield has some beautiful areas that are free of all you mention.

My old work colleague lives in the new(ish) estate just down the hill from Cubley Hall and he loves it.

He's got two young daughter's, but thanks to the In-Laws manages to get out at least once a week with his Mrs for a drink.

In the Summer they tend to walk by the river down to the Huntsman at Thurlstone, which is a nice old fashioned friendly real ale pub.

They also regularly jump on the train to Sheffield for a night out or if they can't be bothered travelling too far go to Cubley Hall, a place me and my Mrs like to go for food and a pint.

He also recommends the Indian at The Flouch, but that's a bit of a drive.

He seems happy enough to live there.....Although having previously lived in the centre of Barnsley even Baghdad would be an upgrade.

Regards

Doom

He also recommends the Indian at The Flouch, but that's a bit of a drive.

Regards

Doom

I can vouch for the snap at the Flouch ....... top notch .

As for Pubs, the White Heart is incredibly warm, modern and cosmopolitan - nothing like most of the other pubs around there. In fact, the Bridge next door (I think it's the Bridge) isn't exactly an old-man's pub.

I've spent a lot of time in Penistone. I always consider moving out there but like everyone else says, I think I would just miss the bustle of the city too much. However, for a place to retire, or bring up a young family I think it's ideal

As for Pubs, the White Heart is incredibly warm, modern and cosmopolitan - nothing like most of the other pubs around there. In fact, the Bridge next door (I think it's the Bridge) isn't exactly an old-man's pub.

I've spent a lot of time in Penistone. I always consider moving out there but like everyone else says, I think I would just miss the bustle of the city too much. However, for a place to retire, or bring up a young family I think it's ideal

The Spread was always a good night out ,friendly ,welcoming and a great pint to boot.

Your reply is probably what I would send to myself if I saw the same question...I like the fact that it seems safe and the schools are good but there is the question of what do kids do in small villages.

May I ask where you live? And where you would recommend?

I live off Abbeydale rd, just on the 'bad end' of netheredge... Lived in Sheffield for 13 years, and in that time I have lived in Netheredge and Ecclesall Rd South... Have a friend who recently moved to Walkley, and she has a fabulous house for little cash :) You mentioned living on Ecclesall Rd, and if the toss up is between a busy student and bars area, and a tiny barnsley village, I am amazed! Two totally different places!!! If I intended to travel to work by train, I wouldn't live somewhere so far away that only had a train once an hour (and where the winter would mean that the trains travelled less regularly)...

Exactly, plenty of areas that kinda fall between the two surely? Wouldn't the likes of Oughtibridge or Totley fit the bill?

I live in Dronfield and work righ near Pennistone.

It takes me 30 minutes to drive into Sheffield, so the commute isn't that bad.

I've found the people in Pennistone to be so friendly.

Especially the ladies in the Pot Office. They treat everyone like a friend. Its ace.

I don't know much about the area, other than it is a very pretty location.

Never allow yourself to be dazzled by a house - you have to choose the location first.

A few years ago we fell in love with the most wonderful place - it was a converted barn, near Bolsterstone, high on the hill above Ewden reservoir with magnificent views over the same. To this day I've never been in a more awe-inspiring place. Loads of exposed beams, flagstone floors, a minstrel's gallery landing with open fireplaces - it was just amazing.

We were looking for our first marital home and the thought of living in such a place was just great at first. Then we started thinking about what it would be like in winter, trying to get in and out of that property. And the fact that it was not near a bus route at all. And the fact that there would be nothing for any future children to do around there. There were no close neighbours or anything - and the little village of Bolsterstone, charming though it is, is very limited in what it offers.

We ended up moving to the south west suburbs of Sheffield and have never regretted it. The house we have isn't quite as magnificent as the barn I refer to - but we have good schools, plenty of shops, pubs, easy access to the city and on the edge of open countryside. It's expensive to live this side of town - but we feel it's worth it.