Living in Penistone - Good or bad idea??

SarahLW

Thanks for all the replies!

I suppose I can see myself living near Ecclesall Road, but the house in Penistone has dazzled us. It's the dilemma of house versus location I guess.

It does seem quaint but the thing that's made us wobble is we popped our heads in to the couple of local pubs, frightening! Like something out of a time warp, in a depressing way.

Will have to give it some thought....

which pubs? old crown/rose and crown by any chance haha.

there's cubley hall at the top of penistone which is much nicer :-)

which pubs? old crown/rose and crown by any chance haha.

there's cubley hall at the top of penistone which is much nicer :-)

Yep I think that was the two! Maybe I'm being daft, but the people (old blokes) in there are not who I want to chat too on a Sunday evening! Will have to check out Cubley Hall.

I love Penistone, but from a distance! It's the perfect village to be a old man/lady in, with a supportive community and a local bus service where the bus driver knows all the pensionners names and habits... You get the feel that anyone who wasn't seen in their usual spot would be missed immediately, and unusual in village life, the locals seem quite open to new people. It is physically beautiful and they have a excellent market on a Thursday, plus a farmers market every month or so... The coffee shops are cheap, and they have some lovely independent shops.

I am still in my 30s though, and it is this that would put me off... There is nothing to do there, and I would have to be in Sheffield or Barnsley virtually daily to get a sniff of civilisation! I would also have hated to have been a older child there, as what would there be to do from about 11 upwards, the point when you want to start going out and doing things with friends? Being a teenager there would be hateful, but perhaps you don't intend to stay there that long?

You are aware that there is only one train to and one train from, per hour? It's a local stopping service, so not the quickest! They use the pacer trains too, so really chilly in winter...

Your reply is probably what I would send to myself if I saw the same question...I like the fact that it seems safe and the schools are good but there is the question of what do kids do in small villages.

May I ask where you live? And where you would recommend?

Yep I think that was the two! Maybe I'm being daft, but the people (old blokes) in there are not who I want to chat too on a Sunday evening! Will have to check out Cubley Hall.

you're not being daft. I've been once in 23 years and only because I had to. I think one of them has now been converted into an estate agent, well 1 of the 3 on that road.

have you been through thurlstone? (when you come down the hill from penistone and you get to bridge end with the option of turning right towards barnsley or left to thurlstone/Manchester?) there's a little pub on the left called the huntsman thats nice if youre passing through or feel like a walk.

Jess

cubley hall is a nice family pub too. I go frequently!

The pubs in Penistone are a bad advert for the place. Thurlstone, Silkstone and Thurgoland have better and friendlier pubs with a good selection of real ales if you like that kind of thing. There's still that thing of what will the kids do though!

On the plus side from what i've seen there doesn't appear to be much in the way of vandalism/grafitti but someone else might say otherwise.

The pubs in Penistone are a bad advert for the place. Thurlstone, Silkstone and Thurgoland have better and friendlier pubs with a good selection of real ales if you like that kind of thing. There's still that thing of what will the kids do though!

On the plus side from what i've seen there doesn't appear to be much in the way of vandalism/grafitti but someone else might say otherwise.

Thanks, that's what Im trying to be practical about, there are a lot of positives about the place but those 2 pubs have unsettled us. Not that we get to go out that often with a toddler! Will have to check out those in the other areas, and Sheffield isn't that far out for a proper night out either I suppose.

Penistone is a Gorgeous place ,along with the neighbouring villages of Thurlstone,Millhouse Green and Oxpring. Surrounded by vast countryside , Rural, picturesque. If your looking for loud ,busy nightlife ,its not for you .

Think of Last of The Summer Wine country ,and you have got it. ( its not far from Holmfirth either).