Why do some people believe in aliens

I was in NO way being a pedant. I wanted clarification because the statement concluding that the possibility of alien life is (almost zero) is simply and outrageously NUTS.

Mind you, that's the business of the day on SF :)

I think you misunderstand. It was I, in all my glory, who was being pedantic.

jb

I read it the other wasy - they said the odds AGAINST there being life are infinitesimal, so therefore it is almost certain.

Yeah. It was - I think we can agree - vague. So I asked for clarification.

I'd love aliens to come to Earth, but any visitors to our planet could see in a heartbeat that we're not in any way ready to accept our neighbours, never mind extraterrestrials.

IMHO:

Once a civilisation anywhere in the galaxy invents the transistor then it is only a matter of time (say 100-1000 years) before they produce sentient immortal machine life.

Machine life will evolve spectacularly quickly and will soon send sentient probes/ships/beings/avatars out into the galaxy to other stars.

This process might well have happened 1000s of times in our galaxy and some of those times will be billions of years ago, leaving plenty of time for life to reach every corner of our (admittedly disk shaped) galaxy.

Assuming that advanced life is cooperative and peaceful (a big assumption I realise) there is probably a galactic protocol for interstellar civilisations to adhere to, with ‘Don’t make yourselves detectable to non-interstellar civilisations’ being an important part.

We will be inducted into the ‘club’ when we pass a certain milestone such as sentient life leaving the solar system, or detecting extraterrestrial life, or (I’d like to think) if we bring ourselves to the brink of self annihilation. One or two of these conditions may be met in our lifetime.

i was watching tv and a avertisement came on about americans seeing alians

i dont think iv ever heard of people in england seeing space ships

lol makes me laught lol :hihi::hihi::hihi:

dont ask why i did this thread im just wondering if enyone else thought the same ????

Aliens exist

IMHO:

Once a civilisation anywhere in the galaxy invents the transistor then it is only a matter of time (say 100-1000 years) before they produce sentient immortal machine life.

Machine life will evolve spectacularly quickly and will soon send sentient probes/ships/beings/avatars out into the galaxy to other stars.

This process might well have happened 1000s of times in our galaxy and some of those times will be billions of years ago, leaving plenty of time for life to reach every corner of our (admittedly disk shaped) galaxy.

Assuming that advanced life is cooperative and peaceful (a big assumption I realise) there is probably a galactic protocol for interstellar civilisations to adhere to, with ‘Don’t make yourselves detectable to non-interstellar civilisations’ being an important part.

We will be inducted into the ‘club’ when we pass a certain milestone such as sentient life leaving the solar system, or detecting extraterrestrial life, or (I’d like to think) if we bring ourselves to the brink of self annihilation. One or two of these conditions may be met in our lifetime.

Methinks you've been reading too much sci fi!