Why do some people believe in aliens

As bizarre as religion?:D

Most religions originate as an attempt to explain why things are as they are, and it's only in the light of later knowledge that they become silly.

Given the current knowledge about the makeup of the Universe, it is very silly indeed to believe that only one planet has ever developed life.

I, too, have been alarmed by those abduction shows.

I think, mental illness aside, the biggest stumbling block in being "abducted" by aliens is: why on earth would any aliens abduct a person then return them again. It's ridiculous, and it's even ridiculouser to think so many of these super advanced aliens have ropey sedation technology that would allow humans to remain conscious through their "alien anal probe".

There are more holes in their stories than an artificial woman at an all male prison.

Why would they want to probe an anus anyway?

Quote from the film about an alien called Paul;

Graeme Willy: You are an alien!

Paul: To you I am, yes.

Graeme Willy: Are you gonna probe us?

Paul: *Why* does everyone always assume that? What am I doing? Am I harvesting farts? How much can I learn from an ass?

That sort of sums up the probing business.

Methinks you've been reading too much sci fi!

Perhaps...

But are there any particular bits people agree/disagree with?

Strong AI?

Frequency of biogenesis?

The inquisitiveness of AI?

ET being benevolent?

Civilisations not inherently self-destructing?

Timeline of induction to galactic civilisation?

I admit my opinion is wishful thinking but we are getting close to having the means to see signs of solar system modification around nearby stars. We’ll probably need to look further, but you never know.

You can make your own estimate for a related number (Drake equation) here:

The number of communicating civilizations in the galaxy

Hmm, my estimate came out at 3000. A sparse population for a galaxy this size I admit, but given that this has being going on for billions of years the Old Ones would have got about by now you’d think? We might even have had a party over from Andromeda, it’s only 2.5 million light years away.

Most religions originate as an attempt to explain why things are as they are, and it's only in the light of later knowledge that they become silly.

Given the current knowledge about the makeup of the Universe, it is very silly indeed to believe that only one planet has ever developed life.

Good post!

Perhaps...

But are there any particular bits people agree/disagree with?.

Pretty much all of it, I don't mean to be rude but it was just baseless assumptions on top of baseless assumptions, not that it isn't interesting to think about.

You started off nonchalantly with "Once a civilisation anywhere in the galaxy invents the transistor then it is only a matter of time before they produce sentient immortal machine life. " as if it's a given. Sentient immortal machine life is inevitable you say? I'd say that's very far fetched.

Then you talk about how this machine life will soon start casually travelling the galaxy, why would they do this?

And then you cap it off with the whole secret intergalactic federation and a very star trek-like first contact fantasy? Come on man that's pure sci fi! I'd read the book, for sure, but it does not sound at all plausible to me.

Also, the Drake equation is brilliant, it really opened my mind when my dad first showed it to me as a teen, before that I had pretty much thought that earth was special.

Today I got 12 as my answer, which isn't too bad by my reckoning, but unfortunately doesn't give me particularly good odds for being alive if and when we ever get a message :mad:. Then again, it'll probable just be some crappy low rent reality tv show from Nibiru! ;)

Incidentally, have you played the Mass Effect videogames?

Edited by flamingjimmy

I read it the other wasy - they said the odds AGAINST there being life are infinitesimal, so therefore it is almost certain.

thats exactly what I meant, thankyou

I, too, have been alarmed by those abduction shows.

I think, mental illness aside, the biggest stumbling block in being "abducted" by aliens is: why on earth would any aliens abduct a person then return them again. It's ridiculous, and it's even ridiculouser to think so many of these super advanced aliens have ropey sedation technology that would allow humans to remain conscious through their "alien anal probe".

There are more holes in their stories than an artificial woman at an all male prison.

is there such a word as rediculouser

is there such a word as rediculouser

I love toys that don't need batteries!

Hmm, my estimate came out at 3000. A sparse population for a galaxy this size I admit, but given that this has being going on for billions of years the Old Ones would have got about by now you’d think.

3000! I got 24 and I thought that was overly ambitious!

The idea that we are alone in the vastness of space is just laughable.

The idea that we are alone in the vastness of space is just laughable.

I wouldn't go that far. The galaxy is probably teeming with life... Or was... Or will be.

Our planet is billions of years old and we, as a race, total barely tens of thousands. That's a drop in the ocean to time.

Chances are countless civilisations have emerged and died... Or are yet to come, long before and long after the human race has faded.

We could have missed 'em all, or been one of the first, leaving us all but alone.

I guess time will tell :)