Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

Appolo

I worked at swift bros too during 68/69 I was in the small mill on the right as you went into the factory...I think the forman was called something like Dick Garton. Do you remember Jack reece Also the lightfoot brothers Grayham Glen and Wayne all worked there...I remember going across the road to the royal for a pint at the end of the shift on mornings.

Yep,you must have worked in what was called the little duo.My brother in-law (big Jim Howcutt) worked in there.I still see Jack Reece now & then in Hartley House club.His younger brother Mick was our furnace man.Sadly,he was killed in a car accident.He wasn't very old either,and yes,the manager was Dick Garton,the old git.lol

Does anyone remember the Minah bird they kept at the Royal?Tickled me to death,1st morning shift I finished,I clocked out,went across the road to the Royal,theres' only me at the bar,asked the landlord for a pint,then I hear someone shout,plain as day,I'm next!!!! I,automatically turned round & say,sorry pal,but there was nobody there.Then the landlord points out that its 'joey' above the door in his cage..Never heard a talking bird like it before or since.

• 3 months later...

i worked in rolling mill at firth brown carlisle st, alongside the flanagans, brian vin terry and shaun, operated the iron man, burner, hot saw, amongst other jobs in the 7.5 yrs i was there, good times many laughs and good mates, some long gone now i bet, proper job, good wage

• 1 month later...
i worked in rolling mill at firth brown carlisle st, alongside the flanagans, brian vin terry and shaun, operated the iron man, burner, hot saw, amongst other jobs in the 7.5 yrs i was there, good times many laughs and good mates, some long gone now i bet, proper job, good wage

You missed Eddie off your list taz ! :) Only Brian not with us nowadays :(

• 2 weeks later...
anybody on here who worked in the rolling mills in sheffield in the 70s

I worked at Dunford Elliots on Claywheels Lane & most of the other rolling mills in the 70s

Sanderson Kaysers etc etc

My brother worked at Sanderson Kayser till it closed his name was David Smith he also worked at one off Spring Street

hi apollo I worked @ bedford steels effingham rd 1978 to 1982.

I worked on two different sized mills an eight inch duo and a 9 inch prial the company also had a twelve inch double duo i think which i believe is still running. all hard hot work which ever mill you was on.

done most jobs such as cog backing back and front finnish backing aka

running out. pulling out on the furnace. straightening etc. as a matter of interest sir henry cooper once put my tongs through the rolls doing some promo work for the company i was on the later shift so i could not chastise him for it. I remember them leaving us beer and food how many companies

would let you have a few beers while at work these days?

any one else work here ? .

did you know big Barry nickname barry bush

my dad worked in the wire mills somewhere down neepsend, he had quite a bad accident there when i was about six or seven so the year would have been around 1971 or 1972, his name is barrie thorpe, a small stocky fella

does anyone remember him??