Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

Oh that part of Middlewood Road, thank you. I was thinking of the old Beeley Wood forge, obviously not that place.

Edited by St Petre
Add

On 15/03/2015 at 20:55, chalky3362 said:

Hi my dad Terry White worked at George Clarke's on Penistone road during late 1960's early 70's. His uncles "Cappy Ward" and Graham Ward also worked there.

My dad continues to still work in the steel industry to this very day.

Anyone know or heard of him or his uncles?

Also where can I get any pictures of The Rolling Mills as I've searched the internet to no avail so far.

Thank you

Gary

I have a couple of photos of the mill I worked in. When I find out how to post them, I will.

On 13/11/2005 at 11:18, brooksy said:

Mdad worked at that place on claywheels lane.His name was ken brooks and after leaving there he went to alloy steel rods on stevenson road.:|

Did your dad come from Parson Cross and ended  up working at paper mill in W/side.

I worked at norfiolk bar mills for 10 years in the sixties , our roller was Les Hammersley .  Great times.

You must remember Alf Clay.  and plenty of others on the 9inch mill, also the 14inch mill and the double duo. Was that the 8inch?

Was the manager Cyril Mennil?

Tried to put the photos on here from photobucket but no joy.

Edited by Kidorry

worked in 9inch rolling mill Jonas&Colvers 1965 for one year  ,remember Walter the furnace man also Walter the head roller plus a tall fellow, ginger hair he was the straighter he came from Foxhill  area.My job was ladding , I was only 16 years old I then left and joined the Army on my 17 birthday 

On 13/11/2005 at 11:18, brooksy said:

Mdad worked at that place on claywheels lane.His name was ken brooks and after leaving there he went to alloy steel rods on stevenson road.:|

Did your dad live on Dryden Rd.

On 13/11/2005 at 22:41, coyleys said:

That right but we called it running out, i would catch it on the last roll then drag it down to the straighter, these bars would be about 1inch diameter by about 20 foot long.

HOLLOW DRILL  WORKING WITH THE KEMPS

My Dad, Eric George worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills as Hot and Cold Rolling Mill Manager 1947-1972. Geoff Edwards was his boss. I worked there as a computer programmer 1971-2. My boss was Ron Stevens.

9 hours ago, mikeG said:

My Dad, Eric George worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills as Hot and Cold Rolling Mill Manager 1947-1972. Geoff Edwards was his boss. I worked there as a computer programmer 1971-2. My boss was Ron Stevens.

Just out of interest.  What main frame were you programming?