Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

i worked in rolling mill at firth brown carlisle st, alongside the flanagans, brian vin terry and shaun, operated the iron man, burner, hot saw, amongst other jobs in the 7.5 yrs i was there, good times many laughs and good mates, some long gone now i bet, proper job, good wage

i worked in rolling mill at firth brown carlisle st, alongside the flanagans, brian vin terry and shaun, operated the iron man, burner, hot saw, amongst other jobs in the 7.5 yrs i was there, good times many laughs and good mates, some long gone now i bet, proper job, good wage

You missed Eddie off your list taz ! :) Only Brian not with us nowadays :(

Hello,my dad work at andrew toledo with several of his brothers and was made redundant late 60,s to early 70,s .I believe it was on clay wheel lane.

anybody on here who worked in the rolling mills in sheffield in the 70s

I worked at Dunford Elliots on Claywheels Lane & most of the other rolling mills in the 70s

Sanderson Kaysers etc etc

My brother worked at Sanderson Kayser till it closed his name was David Smith he also worked at one off Spring Street

hi apollo I worked @ bedford steels effingham rd 1978 to 1982.

I worked on two different sized mills an eight inch duo and a 9 inch prial the company also had a twelve inch double duo i think which i believe is still running. all hard hot work which ever mill you was on.

done most jobs such as cog backing back and front finnish backing aka

running out. pulling out on the furnace. straightening etc. as a matter of interest sir henry cooper once put my tongs through the rolls doing some promo work for the company i was on the later shift so i could not chastise him for it. I remember them leaving us beer and food how many companies

would let you have a few beers while at work these days?

any one else work here ? .

did you know big Barry nickname barry bush

my dad worked in the wire mills somewhere down neepsend, he had quite a bad accident there when i was about six or seven so the year would have been around 1971 or 1972, his name is barrie thorpe, a small stocky fella

does anyone remember him??

My brother in law worked in the rolling mills for many years, one of the places he worked was Eaton & Booths on Penistone Road. His name was Graham Butler, don't know if anyone remembers him

Hi my dad Terry White worked at George Clarke's on Penistone road during late 1960's early 70's. His uncles "Cappy Ward" and Graham Ward also worked there.

My dad continues to still work in the steel industry to this very day.

Anyone know or heard of him or his uncles?

Also where can I get any pictures of The Rolling Mills as I've searched the internet to no avail so far.

Thank you

Gary

did anyone know a Percy Ford? he worked at a rolling mill lived in Attercliffe.......

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2009 at 14:58, cot123 said:

My dad Roy Cottam worked at Parkins on middlewood Road up till 1983 when he was made redundant, shortly afterwards he died from a heart attack.

I can remember going down with him on a sunday to light the furness for the early Monday shift and then going for a walk along the river. Me and my sister would run on the spot on the steel rollers on the floor until dad came from lighting the furness and told us off.

Hi  cot123 I have just come across this post.I worked with your dad From `74 until `82 when we all got made redundant, Roy was a Roll Turner then went into Management a very fair bloke. I once bought a Triumph Herald off him  It was in immaculate condition until I got hold of it.

I didn't know there was a rolling mill on Middlewood Road (Parkin's), where was it ?

6 hours ago, St Petre said:

I didn't know there was a rolling mill on Middlewood Road (Parkin's), where was it ?

Hi St Petre It was on the Right as you come into Oughtibridge  from Middlewood opposite the very

first houses I think it is a caravan storage place now. It shut down in 1982 I was one of the youngest there  and I`m 60 now, Most of the millhands are no longer with us