The dropped kerb/vehicular access thread- all queries in here please

Most people want their cars off road for security. Not to save a walk with shopping. I want mine away from theives and scrotes who want to leer at it, scratch it or steal it.

Most people want their cars off road for security. Not to save a walk with shopping. I want mine away from theives and scrotes who want to leer at it, scratch it or steal it.

Exactly and nicely said :-)

Its hardly much safer just sitting on the drive though is it?

Anyway, I think we've established that I care a lot less about my car than others on this topic....each to their own...its just a shame that gardens are ruined just for sticking a chunk of metal on.

as far as I'm concerned every house frontage should be protected by listing/planning applications

How much damage to a beautiful row of terraces does one hideous uPVC bay do? Especially those carved ones that some swine has run a saw through!

I'm glad I'm not the only one it winds up.

Do you know how these conservation areas are established? I doubt my road would qualify as it has houses from about 1850 to 1950 ( most of them from around 1890).

Certainly, I do enough myself.

You just need to present things sometimes as clearly being an opinion.

Safety standards have come a long way in 11 years, but that means you were being a little disingenous when you commented on people having cars worth more than 2k.

When you bought them new they were worth far more than that, and presumably you'd have been a little upset if you'd come out on a snowy day to find them smashed up. A drive is obviously the safer way to store a car.

They weren't new, but a fair bit newer than they are now. In fact, we've got to buy a newer car in the next few weeks..( probably a year old or so) and I won't think any differently about it. If it gets hit, stolen, scratched...its still only a car.

Its hardly much safer just sitting on the drive though is it?

Anyway, I think we've established that I care a lot less about my car than others on this topic....each to their own...its just a shame that gardens are ruined just for sticking a chunk of metal on.

Alot safer than on the road though, people are less likley to mindlessly vandilise them either if there off the road.

________

Mercury Colony Park specifications

Edited by Bonjon

They weren't new, but a fair bit newer than they are now. In fact, we've got to buy a newer car in the next few weeks..( probably a year old or so) and I won't think any differently about it. If it gets hit, stolen, scratched...its still only a car.

You must have a lot of money and time spare then. Most people find it at the very least a large inconvenience and quite expensive.

Other people don't just have a car as a means to get from A to B, in which case they'd be more upset than the mere inconvenience and cost.

Other people don't just have a car as a means to get from A to B, in which case they'd be more upset than the mere inconvenience and cost.

One might question why they chose to live in a property without a garage in that case.

Possibly due to price, or historical reasons. Maybe they only had an old car when buying the house, maybe the house was bought before they became a couple, maybe they can't afford more than a terrace.

Possibly due to price, or historical reasons. Maybe they only had an old car when buying the house, maybe the house was bought before they became a couple, maybe they can't afford more than a terrace.

My point was that everyone has to make compromises about where they live and it's probably impossible to choose somewhere with everything. Otherwise we'd all want to live in a great house with big gardens in a nice area with good schools that has good shops nearby but is in the countryside whilst still being an easy commute to work.

If someone can afford a nice car, they can probably afford to move to a 'worse' area and have a garage. If they chose to have a nice car and live in a nice area, the compromise they have to make may be to leave the car in the street. If secure parking is that important they would do something about it. If they are not prepared to, they should accept that is their choice and not moan about it.

That's drifting off topic a bit. I think that if someone wants to park off road, they should move somewhere with off road parking. Getting the kerb dropped simply to prevent other people parking outside their house won't ease the overall parking problem, is trying gain rights over the road outside their property and should not be allowed.

Maybe you are confusing the price of nice cars 10 - 20k with the current difference in housing with a garage and without. Just one of the effects of massive house price inflation.

Edit - to add, removing a largely superfluous front garden and replacing it with parking is not moaning, it's pragmatism.

Honest doesn't stop him being wrong.

The offence is to be blocking a right of access, a dropped kerb is a requirement to have that right, but so is something to access, there is no right of access for a vehicle to drive up a dropped kerb and into a hedge or a wall.

Bizarre I know but I think LNRV is correct. It could be because it may be classed as access for pedestrians.