The dropped kerb/vehicular access thread- all queries in here please

with the intention of having a drive and stop moron next door parking there, we use the dropped kerbs to park on front of house (no garden) gravel

Why is he a moron for parking outside your house?

Its alot easier when almost no one has a drive - on our road most don't have a drive and therefore everyone is in the same boat. Neighbours park considerately. Everyone takes the rouge witht he smooth - sometimes you end you parking 200 yards away...so what.

Its alot easier when almost no one has a drive - on our road most don't have a drive and therefore everyone is in the same boat. Neighbours park considerately. Everyone takes the rouge witht he smooth - sometimes you end you parking 200 yards away...so what.

because he has a massive drive at the front of his house with plenty of room for 4 cars so why park outside my house with all that space?! give me a chance to park outside MY OWN HOUSE!!!!

Well said. This obsession with parking off the road is beyond me. People rip out lovely old stone walls and their little piece of garden just to park a car on. Yes, I'd like to have a drive, but I'm not ruining the front of our house just to save me a walk with some shopping....or the baby... Don't get me started on other architectural vandalism like PVC windows on victorian houses !

Insurance is cheaper if you have somewhere to park it off the street. And it stops other cars from crashing into yours when the road is icy (speaking from experience)

I always thought it was blocking access that wasn`t allowed, I`m sure someone will put me right though.

I honestly don`t see what the problem is someone parking infront of your house if they arn`t blocking any access.

well he would be blocking access as we use the front of the house to park on now we have had the kerbs dropped

I agree.

Several years ago the rd collapsed outside our house, so the bit to get past was as wide as a pavement. The few houses past ours could just squeeze through. There was room for a couple of cars further up the rd, the rest of us had to park right up the hill.This is what we all did for years until the rd was fixed.

Point is no-one started throwing one if they didn`t get one of the spaces. Everyone was entitled to park there, so it was just if you got lucky.

Insurance is cheaper if you have somewhere to park it off the street. And it stops other cars from crashing into yours when the road is icy (speaking from experience)

Can't be much cheaper - postcode makes a bigger difference. And my answer about being crashed into? So what...its only a car. I'd much rather the general street appearance wasn't ruined with concreting front gardens of small terraces.....larger plots are different, I'll give you that.

well he would be blocking access as we use the front of the house to park on now we have had the kerbs dropped

But you said you didn`t have a drive!!

quote from post 29

"we haven;t built a drive, we have had the kerbs dropped and park in front of house now, council came and passed it after they had been dropped"

yes they can park over dropped kerbs but then you have to ask them to move and if they say no then you can get them removed by a tow truck!!! I know because we have the same problem for years with moaron who lives next door, well he longer parks there now as we have had kerbs dropped!!

So you can get a car towed away even if it isn't blocking access to anything thing? For example if there was a dropped kerb that lead to a brick wall, no where for a car to go; surely a car cannot be towed away under these circumstances?

because its bloody annoying!!!! We had the same thing. We applied to local council and they said if your roads classed as a "B" road i think it was you didn;t need permission off them but you might need to go highways to check with them. We got a private builder to do ours so didn;t cost as much from council

Thats handy to know as ours is a very little side road (pretty sure its a B) :thumbsup: And that would be why all the neighbours are getting them done pretty easily.

________

Leon Bates (American labor leader)

Edited by Bonjon

Can't be much cheaper - postcode makes a bigger difference. And my answer about being crashed into? So what...its only a car. I'd much rather the general street appearance wasn't ruined with concreting front gardens of small terraces.....larger plots are different, I'll give you that.

:oOnly a car? Only a car????? I can't believe you said that! :o They caused £2,000 of damage to mine. Luckily they did actually stop and left details with my neighbour and I was able to claim on the 3rd party's insurance.