The dropped kerb/vehicular access thread- all queries in here please

Well where I live are post 1960's houses therefor they have quite generous front gardens that are just asking to be turned into a drive, also with streets like mine where parking is an issue, its much better to decongest the road by having them on a drive and therfore making it easier for other road users/emergancy services to pass.

Turning say 1/3 or 1/4 of the front garden into a drive is fair enough - concreting the whole lot, if done by a few owners, ruins the look of the whole road.

Turning say 1/3 or 1/4 of the front garden into a drive is fair enough - concreting the whole lot, if done by a few owners, ruins the look of the whole road.

I would only be turning one of my font lawns to drive, and when I have the cash saved it will be block paved.

________

og kush marijuana strain

Edited by Bonjon

I would only be turning one of my font lawns to drive, and when I have the cash saved it will be block paved.

you do what you feel you want to do and don;t let anyone put you off, its your house :-)

you do what you feel you want to do and don;t let anyone put you off, its your house :-)

Yup, plus it all adds to the price of my house.

________

Honda Deauville

Edited by Bonjon

Yup, plus it all adds to the price of my house.

exactly :-)

Owning a car clearly worth far more than £2000 is the problem :) We've got a 9 year old Focus and an 11 year old polo....sorts of limits our exposure to loss !

Its mildly irritating having to lugg the shopping 200 yards.....but its no big deal. I'd much rather keep our nice stone front wall and garden.

Everyone has different priorities though, it's no good trying to impose yours on other people.

Personally I wouldn't touch a car that old, I don't particularly want to die as it falls apart around me in an accident.

Everyone has different priorities though, it's no good trying to impose yours on other people.

Personally I wouldn't touch a car that old, I don't particularly want to die as it falls apart around me in an accident.

Whats the point of a forum if you can't pontificate:)

I won't touch a car that old either....we bought these close to new, and its expensive to change. Neither have been in an accident, no rust, so I would expect them to perform as well in an accident as they day they were made. Granted, technology has improved over time, but they are relatively modern. Old rustbuckets fold up, but they aren't that old...and aren't rusty.

I can't believe how many people seem to jump on a thread just to attack the person who started it. It's like they just want to argue on here sometimes. I personally would prefer to have my own car outside my own house and I don't see anything wrong with that. I believe most people would. As for the ridiculous cost we have to pay the council to gain access over land that we all already contribute towards, to the land that we own, it's a joke.

I agree. Loads of people park their cars on the road nearest to the Metro tram for a mile down quite near to the road where I live, then they leave them there all day while they get on the Metro - this means visitors to the house can't park there. Further down cars park to pick children up from school, i.e. the infant/eleven year olds, and they have to park further and further away. It is so congested that most drivers avoid that part of the road.

well we'll agree to disagree then, i believe my dad to be honest

Honest doesn't stop him being wrong.

The offence is to be blocking a right of access, a dropped kerb is a requirement to have that right, but so is something to access, there is no right of access for a vehicle to drive up a dropped kerb and into a hedge or a wall.

Whats the point of a forum if you can't pontificate:)

Certainly, I do enough myself.

You just need to present things sometimes as clearly being an opinion.

I won't touch a car that old either....we bought these close to new, and its expensive to change. Neither have been in an accident, no rust, so I would expect them to perform as well in an accident as they day they were made. Granted, technology has improved over time, but they are relatively modern. Old rustbuckets fold up, but they aren't that old...and aren't rusty.

Safety standards have come a long way in 11 years, but that means you were being a little disingenous when you commented on people having cars worth more than 2k.

When you bought them new they were worth far more than that, and presumably you'd have been a little upset if you'd come out on a snowy day to find them smashed up. A drive is obviously the safer way to store a car.

Honest doesn't stop him being wrong.

The offence is to be blocking a right of access, a dropped kerb is a requirement to have that right, but so is something to access, there is no right of access for a vehicle to drive up a dropped kerb and into a hedge or a wall.

i'm not arguing with you, i believe what i believe!!

Well said. This obsession with parking off the road is beyond me. People rip out lovely old stone walls and their little piece of garden just to park a car on. Yes, I'd like to have a drive, but I'm not ruining the front of our house just to save me a walk with some shopping....or the baby... Don't get me started on other architectural vandalism like PVC windows on victorian houses !
as far as I'm concerned every house frontage should be protected by listing/planning applications

How much damage to a beautiful row of terraces does one hideous uPVC bay do? Especially those carved ones that some swine has run a saw through!