Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

Deerlands Avenue - Streching from Fox Hill/Halifax Road to Barnsley Road/Shiregreen was the road which bordered the New Cross from the Old Parson Cross? QUOTE]

It's a bit pedantic I know but both sided of Deerlands were old PX. The small steam which ran at the parallel to Deerlands was the frontier. (It's called something like "Tun Gutter")

So, for instance, on Wordsworth, the border was about 80 meters down towards Ecclesfield, from the Deerlands/Wordsworth roundabout, and that first batch of houses, including Wordsworth Drive, were "Old PX and Sheffield". Everything past the garage was "New PX and West Riding". The road surface changed from concrete to tarmac at that point, and the lamposts went from being "Dixon of Dock Green" in Sheffield, to pre-fabricated concrete in WR.

You're absolutely right about the two, seemingly incompatible education zones. My class at Tommy More's was split into two on eleven plus day. As West Riding I, along with half a dozen others, had to go to Monteney to take the exam. The Sheffield lot took theirs at Chaucer. (Don't ask me why. Even today I think it's one of the most stupid things I ever encountered). I found out later that we took a totally different exam. West Riding's seemed to be a lot easier (Phew!!)

I left the Parson Cross about 1958 for my National Service. Getting married soon afterwards in 1961. So I've not really ever been back for any length of time. Has the Sheffield City border ever been adjusted so that it now embraces all of the Parson Cross estate? I was told that that the estate is the largest local authority estate in Great Britain. Is this correct? I have recollections of a pond being situated in the middle of the grounds of Colley School. Is a map available to showing this prior to the New estate being built?

Not exactly Parson Cross, but I lived at 99 Cookson Road until about 1970.

Really enjoyed reading the thread and recognising all the road names.

I remember the Embassay building on Halifax Road, there was a clothes shop there that did tick, was there for years, anyone remember what it was called. Up from the white horse pub. Near the bookies I think, a chinese takeaway and a butcher that sold the best pork scratchings LOL

I went to Meynell school till we moved up to foxhill!

I remember the Embassay building on Halifax Road, there was a clothes shop there that did tick, was there for years, anyone remember what it was called. Up from the white horse pub. Near the bookies I think, a chinese takeaway and a butcher that sold the best pork scratchings LOL

At the bottom of Donovan Road which was on the route of the 110 bus I recollect that a valley existed with a stream at the bottom. I understand that this valley was filled up during 1960/70s. Are you able to recall who did that?

Sorry cant remember, I was only a kid, will ask my brother, he may know.

At the bottom of Donovan Road which was on the route of the 110 bus I recollect that a valley existed with a stream at the bottom. I understand that this valley was filled up during 1960/70s. Are you able to recall who did that?

The last time i was there the valley had been turned into a skateboard park thing. I remember being on a bus on Donovan one winter, it was heading diwn the hill in the snow and the driver put the brakes on and the bus just kept going...

That steep valley, boardered by Wordsworth Avenue, Haliwell Crescent, Cookson Road, Avisford Road and facing the Forty Foot pub at the bottom of Donovan Road was filled with household waste by the bin men.

That's why its never been built on. It was made into a bit of a park.

Has the Sheffield City border ever been adjusted so that it now embraces all of the Parson Cross estate?

Not only has Sheffield City Council embraced post-war New Parson Cross, Sheffield now includes such places as Ecclesfield, Grenoside, Chapeltown, High Green, Outibridge, Deepcar and Stocksbridge.

Even the old West Riding County Council office at Salt Box Lane / Penistone Road in Grenoside was recently demolished to make way for apartments.

I have recollections of a pond being situated in the middle of the grounds of Colley School.

There was no pond within Colley School by the mid 1960's.

You're probably aware that Colley School became Parson Cross College before it finally closed.

Today the whole site has been demolished, apart from a couple of buildings.

Hi WWCrazy - there was a shop called Ogleys on Halifax Road is that the one. I went to Meynell until 1963 when I went onto Granville College. Lived on Browning Drive - anyone from around there?

I said I lived on Doe Royd Cres from 1938/39, but yes Bushbaby, we DID move to Buchanan about 11 years later.

Don't suppose you remember the Fosters lived at 40 Doe Royd Crescent and then at 117 - my mother and her family.

Can anyone recall a motorcyclist dying after crashing into the wire fence at the junction of Herries Road and Wordsworth Ave during 1955 -58? I believe a service station eventually occupied the area at this junction.

Don't suppose you remember the Fosters lived at 40 Doe Royd Crescent and then at 117 - my mother and her family.

I only remember our immediate neighbours within a few houses either side and accross the "roo- ad."

I was around 10 or 11 when we moved.But the name Foster rings a bell.Were you a big family? We lived just up the Road from you on the same side.