Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

I also went to colley school but left 1980 ,can anyone remember mrs bennet,mr allan?

Thanks a million for giving me the pleasure of looking at the Photograpghs especially the ones of 1951. If Dawn Longmore, who is mentioned, is still around, she will remember me. I organised the pulling of her over some moulds of soil. This ensured Four strokes of the best from H.Birch who predicted to all and sundry. 'that I was destined for a life of crime!!!'. History would show that he could not have been more wrong!.

The K.Frost must have been either the younger sister of a Dot Frost, the friend of Dawn Longmore if my memory serves me right.

I remember the Leam Hall Y.H.A. Trip and I think the lad who did not have Pajamas was Daddy Ashton.

If Dawn or Dot are still around they would know me as Terry.

They may remember the getting the most stick in a week contest that was organised!!

Jim Helliwell got 42!! I got 36 and I think John Godley came third with 30 strokes. But all this changed when Joe Mellor arrived as a teacher with his Cat 'O' Nine-tails Strap. I only got that once and I believe all involve did.

Punishment works if the ones recieving it know WHY.

Thanks unregistered for the link to the Colley Photo's .

There have been some additions since I last looked at them.

The 1951 school report was very nostalgic.

I started out in 1-2 but was soon promoted to 1-1.

I remember Kieth Frost who got a special commendation when he was in 1-1.

He lived on Milnrow Rd, although I do not remember him as being specially academic in school.

Doug Philips 1-2 used to live by the bus strop on Wordsworth Ave on the 'going to town side' after Colley Rd and before Milnrow Dr.

Does anyone remember his dad?When he came home on Saturday night on the 49 bus all his inhibitions went and his Mario Lanza character came out.

He probably had a good tenor voice but no outlet for it

Ann Corbett 3-1 lived on Wordsworth just about where Milnrow Dr came to Wordsworth on the opposit side.

She had a brother Wilf who used to play with us.

Wilf wore an aorthopedic shoe.I think he went to work at Timpsons in the Haymarket.

As I say "very Nostalgic"

Thanks unregistered for the link to the Colley Photo's .

There have been some additions since I last looked at them.

The 1951 school report was very nostalgic.

I started out in 1-2 but was soon promoted to 1-1.

I remember Kieth Frost who got a special commendation when he was in 1-1.

He lived on Milnrow Rd, although I do not remember him as being specially academic in school.

Doug Philips 1-2 used to live by the bus strop on Wordsworth Ave on the 'going to town side' after Colley Rd and before Milnrow Dr.

Does anyone remember his dad?When he came home on Saturday night on the 49 bus all his inhibitions went and his Mario Lanza character came out.

He probably had a good tenor voice but no outlet for it

Ann Corbett 3-1 lived on Wordsworth just about where Milnrow Dr came to Wordsworth on the opposit side.

She had a brother Wilf who used to play with us.

Wilf wore an aorthopedic shoe.I think he went to work at Timpsons in the Haymarket.

As I say "very Nostalgic"

Were you ever on the receiving end of Joe Mellors Strap?

Were you ever on the receiving end of Joe Mellors Strap?

Maybe Joe Mellor mellowed.

I was in his little group that would go to a parents house after school to repair radio's .I cannot say I remember him using the strap.

I think he would hurl the occasional piece of chalk across the room

Maybe Joe Mellor mellowed.

I was in his little group that would go to a parents house after school to repair radio's .I cannot say I remember him using the strap.

I think he would hurl the occasional piece of chalk across the room

He must have mellowed in his old age, I think that we all do.

My recollections of his strap are that it was about 12 inch long. one end cut to 0.25" by 3 inch long tassles. When you recieved that - It hurt.

I only got it once and he solved my arrogant school days in one go!!.

Afterwards I never play truant was always early at school. I often stayed over at the Radio tutition group.

He taught me my maths. Teaching me how to create my own Trig tables. (Tan, co-Tan Sine Co-sine etc). Along with the ability to work out in long hand Square & Cube Roots. These in my army conscription days stood me in good stead, A great many things that Joe taught me came in usefull.

You are a little younger than I. Do you recall Den Sleney? He lived on Colley Road four houses up from the Holgate Crescent Eight foot? He also had a younger sister and brother.

Next time you come back I should have remembered the name of the couple Joe lived with down Colley Road about four houses up from the Colley Crescent junction.

How come that you are in Canada?

Hi all,

This has to be the best thread I've ever read on this forum, I didn't grow up in Parson Cross but just to read all your posts and see how fond (and well detailed) your memories of the past are is a real pleasure.

Most of you seem to remember the area as a close knit community where everyone knew one another and played together. Is it still like this? I often read or hear negative things about Parson Cross, eg fairly high crime rates and quite a bit of anti-social behaviour. Is this true? If so what do you think brought about these changes?

Thanks, I'm just curious how things have changed over the last 60 years and why they have.

Ellie x

Hi all,

Is it still like this? Ellie x

You don't wanna know.....

That bad is it!

I really do want to know Bushbaby, I'm curious. Do you think the people who live there now will remember the area with as much fondness as you do?

Ellie x

That bad is it!

I really do want to know Bushbaby, I'm curious. Do you think the people who live there now will remember the area with as much fondness as you do?

Ellie x

I probably exaggerated a bit. I guess it's no worse than most other places. It's probably because I am now grumpy old man (that's official by the way) that I see things worse than they really are. There's also the possibility that when we grew up there, it wasn't as appealing as these notes make it seem. There must have been lots of bad times, but I guess the rose-coloured binoculars don't see those.

I may write a book about it if I get some spare time over the next few years...

Where did you grow up?

Thanks for that, I guess you're right, everyone seems to have selective memories when it comes to their pasts, I know I've tried to forget rubbish parts of my childhood. I'm not from Sheffield I grew up in a small village in Northumberland so am a Geordie at heart but since I came to Sheffield I've grown to love it just as much.

Ellie x