Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

What ever happened to Ian Worth ? - brother of Maurice, George, Neil, Brian and Julie, formerly of Wordsworth Avenue between the Wordsworth Tavern and the Colley Club.

He was a great Cross Country runner at Yew Lane School (later Yewlands) and would be about age 52 today.

Ian (or Harry as he was often known) married Lynne Bower in 1975. They are still happily together and live on the part of Buchanan that is slowly disappearing, up towards the Longley end.

I saw them just before Christmas and both look very well, though Harry gets a bit of backache occasionally (don't we all?)

He played football up until a few years ago but I don't think he does any cross country

i used to play football on Colley school, with bert, cosh, dembey,

John Denby was a cracking player wasn't he? If only he'd been a bit bigger he could made something of himself

Yes i played against john a few years ago in a semi-final, we lost 1-0 and john kicked the ball off the line from me in the last minute......AND he didnt get the beer in.

Can this be traced back to Thatcher and her cut back on social services?.

Most probably, then again, the alternative could have been Arthur Scargill.

Ian (or Harry as he was often known) married Lynne Bower in 1975. They are still happily together and live on the part of Buchanan that is slowly disappearing, up towards the Longley end.

I saw them just before Christmas and both look very well, though Harry gets a bit of backache occasionally (don't we all?)

He played football up until a few years ago but I don't think he does any cross country

OK Thanks for that. Glad to hear he's still keeping well.

At the junction of Adlington and Deerlands was a large cornfield which we often played in during the summer, when it was dry, and the corn grew past your head (except for Peapod, he could still see over it)

When it was harvested, a huge pile of straw was left behind, and that’s when the fun really started.

We would pile the straw up against the side of the powerhouse, and start leaping off into mid-air and falling onto a giant cushion of straw. There would be Superman flying leaps, forward somersaults, backward somersaults, and a whole myriad of airborne poses. Gymnastic prowess suddenly became the norm. Kids from all corners of the cross would magically appear and queue patiently to have their turn, shouting “Geronimo” at the optimum moment. Territorial issues were left to one side as we all made full use of this “Once a year” phenomenon. Even some Foxhill kids were allowed on. (Only a few though, and then only if they brought girls or fags with them!)

As it got darker, big kids would come and set fire to it, then Bill Moyer would leap into a pile of burning straw, pausing only to sniff back his hay fever before having another go. He would still be risking 30% burns when the fire engine came down Buchanan and we all scarpered back to our own niches, eyes watering and breath coming in heavy gulps.

I don’t see many cornfields today. It’s all Rape Seed. Can’t leap from 12 foot up onto that during harvest time, can yer?

I lived at 77 Holgate Crescent from either 1945 or 46 and attended Colley School when it first opened. (1950-4 in the 'A' stream. (Terry Smith))

I've vidid memorys of the above Corn Field and another one that was across from Linsey Crescent? Behind the Linsey Ave shops, or below where the youth club was held in the buildings used as a Nursery.

What I never knew was: Where did the farmer who brought the Combined Harvester to cut the Cornfield come from?

Joining Holgate Road (Where the Steel houses are or were?) an 'eight foot or Gennal ran across a embankment, over a stream to Deerlands Avenue.

One year after a torrential down pour of rain, This drain pipe which ran under the gennal could not take all the water that was flowing down and the path and part of the enbankment was washed away or into the small fishing pond which was at the lower side of the enbankment.

Can anyone recollect the pond that was in the grounds of Colley School its draining stream ran down under Wordworth Avenue, Rokerby Road then behind Tudor ???? (Where P.C. Mitchell lived) Under Colley Road and Holgate Road joining the previously mentioned stream just before the embankment. During the school holidays at the junction of the streams we would make a dam and use it as a swimming pool. A lot of local youngster must have began to learn to swim there.

A life long friend who lived on Colley Road (Sleney) first met me there and thought that I was a great swimmer. He did not realise then or for several years after that I'd got one foot on the bottom, whilst my other leg and arms performed like a Capt Webb swimmimg the English Channel!!

We had got nothing when we were young, but we were very, very happy.

What I never knew was: Where did the farmer who brought the Combined Harvester to cut the Cornfield come from?

I'm sure it was Foxhill.

I'm sure it was Foxhill.

Marsden the Butcher used to have a farm at Foxhill but it was all pasture with no wheat or other grains.

All he had there was one tractor

Looking at the map I think it was on Edge Lane.

Marsden the Butcher used to have a farm at Foxhill but it was all pasture with no wheat or other grains.

All he had there was one tractor

Looking at the map I think it was on Edge Lane.

I've no doubt that is was a Combined Harvester that came to cut the field and whilst I may be wrong, I think that the driver had connections, Worked for or was a friend with someone at the Sheffield Council Repair's Department that was situated at the Southy Green terminus just off Galsworthy Road.

There was Mr Hall Geography in room 15 on the top floor. There was also Pete Evans in room 13. his wife was a teacher at Chap Comp. There was also a music teacher, Miss Shackelton I think but she got married and I can't think of her Married Name.

:confused:

There was Mr Hall Geography in room 15 on the top floor. There was also Pete Evans in room 13. his wife was a teacher at Chap Comp. There was also a music teacher, Miss Shackelton I think but she got married and I can't think of her Married Name.

Hi i remember the teacherz there did mr jenkinz go on to do comintating for football :huh: