Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

hey i was born on Doe Royd Crescent and was there till i was 15 (1980-1995) lived near the island round the bottom end. i have to say a Mrs Foster rings a bell, im just trying to place a face.

I believe a service station eventually occupied the area at this junction.

That Service Station, at the junction of Wordsworth Avenue / Herries Road and just above the Five Arches, has now been demolished and a block of appartments occupies the site.

I only remember our immediate neighbours within a few houses either side and accross the "roo- ad."

I was around 10 or 11 when we moved.But the name Foster rings a bell.Were you a big family? We lived just up the Road from you on the same side.

Yes there were loads of them Brian and Tony were the boys - born about 1941 and 1943 the rest were girls.

Yes there were loads of them Brian and Tony were the boys - born about 1941 and 1943 the rest were girls.

My elder Brother is called Brian. Another Bro is Tony!Have you a sister called Jean or Joan?My sister was born in 1941 too

That Service Station, at the junction of Wordsworth Avenue / Herries Road and just above the Five Arches, has now been demolished and a block of appartments occupies the site.

It just indicates that I'm growing old!!

Soon I'll meet my sister and ask her the actual date of when we moved onto Holgate Crescent. Looking back, not many people had actually moved onto the new estate when we arrived.

Interesting to read your memories of Parson Cross.

I knew Pauline very well their back garden backed onto our back garden,we lived on Wordsworth Crescent. My mother still lives there and so does my older brother Frank Smedley. I was discussing your mail with him last week and he can remember you very well, he was trying to explain you to myself but Im sorry to say I couldnt recall.He said you lived near Paul Gray,Barry Gallon and that you would remember the Hastings, Just has I was leaving he said oh and yes she had a scar on her nose, good memory eh.

I know a lot of the names you mentioned Ronnie Hunt was a good mate of mine, bump into him now and again and some of his brothers.

Linda Grayson used to work in what used to be our regular the White Horse pub on Halifax Road.

I used to deliver the papers from the post office and the people I remember were Frank who used to own it and Beatie who thought she owned it.

The chip shop was owned by the Mr and Mrs Thornhill mother and father to David and Jean. I also remember ( i think the name was Roes) this is the shop where we would buy our dried peas for our pea shooters and our penny canes resdy for the dual after we had been to the ritz like you mentioned on a Saturday (remember the illuminous star badge).I like you also remember been out all day in fact I used to get into trouble if I went in early my parents thinking I was up to something.

All the best

|

Hi Pete - Did you have a sister? I remember the Smedley's name although unfortunately like you not sure if I actually remember you - oh! dear!

I remember Paul and his grandma Mrs Gary they lived next door to us. Near Linda Grayson's I'm sure there was a family by the name of Bower who had a daughter called Jacqueline.

I also remember the Gallons.

Gosh it brings it all back - I can remember it so clearly. What happy memories it conjures up.

Do you remember someone called Kath/Kathleen? I can't remember her surname though, but I think she used to knock around with Sheila Pacey and my cousin Maureen Sargent (who used to live at Parkwood Springs but used to come with my auntie to visit my grandad).

I have a sister called Angela who you might recall more than me. We lived with my grandad Frank Heeley so you might have known my mum and dad - Gerald and Margaret?

Did you ever make 'tents' out of your mum's old clothes horse and an old blanket - we used to play for hours in our tent although very often it wasn't just a tent it could be anything we decided on the day!! We had and used our imagination in those days - unfortunately I think this is something that today's young do seem to lack.

Happy memories.

sj

Don't suppose you remember the Fosters lived at 40 Doe Royd Crescent and then at 117 - my mother and her family.

Do you remember the Fire-Well across the road from you?It was built to hold water ready to be used to put out fires if bombs dropped in our area.Access to the pump was across the street from our house under a grate,on the pavement,outside Albert Quixall"s house.Do you recall the family? Albert played for Sheffield Wed. Anyone recall Derek Dooley? He also played for Wed. He lost a leg,I believe it was after being injured in a match. Can"t recall what year it was.

Anyone recall Derek Dooley? He also played for Wed. He lost a leg, I believe it was after being injured in a match. Can"t recall what year it was.

He broke his right leg in a match at Preston North End in February 1953 when he collided with the goalkeeper on an icy pitch. At first it seemed to be a straightforward injury but gangrene set in when a cut became infected and Derek had to have his leg amputated to save his life.

His playing career was over at the age of 23.

My elder Brother is called Brian. Another Bro is Tony!Have you a sister called Jean or Joan?My sister was born in 1941 too

The family has a sister called Joan, Beryl, Betty my mum sadly deceased, Violet, Mary and Jessie. Joan still lives in Doe Royd Lane.

Did you have a brother called Samuel (Sammy Smedley) went to Meynell - I was in his class.

I know the Quixalls - went to school with the youngest Margaret. Last time we spoke last year Albert was very ill - he did still live in the Manchester area and I think became big in scrap.

This site is a bit frustrating wondering the age of the people and the names - perhaps we all knew each other.

I think the plot of land where the well was had houses built on it and my grandparents moved over into one of the houses at the top of the little hill leading from the lane - can't remember its name.

The family has a sister called Joan, Beryl, Betty my mum sadly deceased, Violet, Mary and Jessie. Joan still lives in Doe Royd Lane.

I vaguely recall Joan and calling at your house sometimes.Did your house have a side entrance?