Did you ever live in Parson Cross?

sandy

I moved to 77 Holgate Crescent in 1946/7. After attending Eccesfield Junior. (Headmaster Mr Swan) and eventually failing the Eleven Plus along with all other new pupils from the New Parsons Cross estate we were drafted to Burgoyne Road in the late 1949s until the new Colley School was opened in January 1950 or 51.

Mr Harry Birch was the Head and my 'A' stream year was the first class which completed the through transit of the school. I left in 1953/4 to start work at Brightside Foundry, Eccesfield Lane. as an Apprentice Engineer. Starting in the foundry core shop as the 'Tea Lad' (Teamaker). We did not have a great standard of life but I can never ever remember being bored.

Was any reader in my class?

I left Easter 54,probably a year after you.

In my last year I was in 4-1 Mr Thompson was the form master (I think) ,he taught English.

I left Easter 54,probably a year after you.

In my last year I was in 4-1 Mr Thompson was the form master (I think) ,he taught English.

Ken Thompson was also my form master. (He classed me as the one he failed at!!).

Do you remember John Godley, David Coleman, Rita Schofield. (Who live near Wordwoth Tavern)?

(I'll have to delve back a few year to name others.)?

MORE DEMOLITION OF PARSON CROSS HOMES ?

03 NOVEMBER 2006.

SCORES of homes on Parson Cross face demolition because repairs are too expensive to carry out.

Structural surveys carried out in the summer identified malthouses on Wordsworth Avenue as having "no cost effective repair solutions".

Sheffield Council has not announced what will happen to the properties and officials are to carry out a consultation exercise with residents.

But last week Sheffield Homes, the organisation which runs the city's council housing, controversially revealed that non-traditional types of houses identified in the survey as being too expensive to repair could instead be knocked down and rebuilt.

64 houses are affected on Parson Cross including 28 owner-occupied houses bought under the right-to-buy scheme.

Malthouses were built on Wordsworth Avenue just after WWII and made from concrete blocks pinned together but with apex roofs and rendering made to look like brickwork, so the properties blended in with neighbouring homes.

I love the fact that the rest of Sheffield finds is very easy to find fault with the Cross and we have the most posts and chat on SF!

54 thousand people have felt the need to check out this thread!!....Cant be that bad then can we!!

Just goes to show what friendly folk we are up here on this lovely estate.

'New' Parson Cross celebrates 60 years in 2007.

I wonder what the next 60 years has in store.

I think those Malthouses on Wordsworth Avenue (I've not heard that term used before) must be the ones on the left immediately after the Tanner Hop as you go over past Wheata shops towards Ecclesfield.

The rendering really does look like brickwork - they were pretty good at faking it after the war.