Spelling on the Forum

Whether other users like it or not, we have to have a certain tolerance for spelling and grammatical errors on forum posts. The forum is not available for use only by those with a good standard of written English, it's also available for those who may have English as a second language, or who may be dyslexic, or who struggle with spelling and grammar.

If you can think of a good way to allow all of those people to get involved which doesn't also have the possibility of grammatical errors or typos in posts then please do let us know.

In the absence of this, we will continue to allow those who are not perfect to have forum access.

Perfection or seeking perfection ruins people,s lives.

Perfection or seeking perfection ruins people,s lives.

I agree with you there, I like people who are a bit quirky, slightly imperfect, it makes life much more interesting. It would be a funny world if we were all perfect clones, all able to spell, use punctuation correctly, and behave the same way.

Vive la difference!!

Can people not spell, or use the correct term these days?

Or is it just not considered an important part of the English language anymore?

lose or loose

there, their or they're

should've, not 'should of'

your or you're

I'm sure there are many more ... :rolleyes:

Here we go.!!

I am driven nuts by the much used phrase 'tarnished with the same brush'.

The saying is 'tarred with with same brush', tarnish means to rust, which you would not achieve with a brush. I believe such mistakes are known as 'eggcorns' (acorns). Other examples being 'a bowl in a china shop' and 'its a doggy dog world' - these two make me howl with laughter.

Another example, the legendary escapegoat :hihi:

Just found this by googling the word eggcorn, brilliant! http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

Bad spelling is one of my pet hates especially on signs, public notices etc. and if I see any I can't help but point it out. For example, every morning on my way to work I could see a lovely enamel sign for a business on City Road. It was for spare parts, including 'obselete' parts. I managed to get the phone number of the business from the sign and rang to tell them that the correct spelling is 'obsolete'. The person who answered said that it was the American version of the word. I couldn't help but laugh, but I noticed a while later that the sign had been amended.

Edited by Yorkiescot

It's just one of those things that goes with time i think. As computers and phones are used to communicate more people shoten words because they know people understand them and it follows suit after that.

Not all are the same as some genuinely do have some sort of learning difficulties and/or didn't attend School much/at all. So on that note... cya ina bit im ov afk bbl lol...

Your attend school comment made me smile i had 100% attendance but that did not stop the teacher hitting you on top of the head when you struggled with spelling and yelling that it is spelt as it is said which of course is nonsense and still causes me spelling trouble to this day.

On an informal forum like this, the odd typo or spelling mistake could be ignored.

I'm gritting my teeth as I type this, as seeing spelling mistakes or incorrect word use grates on me, and jumps out of any post I read! However, I can recognise there are more important things in life.

What I find most annoying are long posts with poor spelling, no punctuation and no paragraphs. A well constructed post is so much easier to read!