Spelling on the Forum

Whether other users like it or not, we have to have a certain tolerance for spelling and grammatical errors on forum posts. The forum is not available for use only by those with a good standard of written English, it's also available for those who may have English as a second language, or who may be dyslexic, or who struggle with spelling and grammar.

If you can think of a good way to allow all of those people to get involved which doesn't also have the possibility of grammatical errors or typos in posts then please do let us know.

In the absence of this, we will continue to allow those who are not perfect to have forum access.

I think it's more of a case of pointing out people's mistakes gently and politely. Anyone dyslexic should already be using a spell checker and people who can't speak or type English correctly should be looking to improve their abilities. The forum should have correct use of English as an ideal, whilst recognising that not everyone will ever reach that ideal. I make plenty of mistakes myself.

But anyone who types in an imitation of a Sheffield accent or in text speak should be shot and buried where they lie.

Whether other users like it or not, we have to have a certain tolerance for spelling and grammatical errors on forum posts. The forum is not available for use only by those with a good standard of written English, it's also available for those who may have English as a second language, or who may be dyslexic, or who struggle with spelling and grammar.

If you can think of a good way to allow all of those people to get involved which doesn't also have the possibility of grammatical errors or typos in posts then please do let us know.

In the absence of this, we will continue to allow those who are not perfect to have forum access.

There is a world of difference, though, between the use of sloppy English and/or "textspeak" and someone who has difficulty spelling, through something like dyslexia, say.

How much more trauma would it cause someone to type the phrase "I see" than "i c"? or to type "I am going to..." instead of "i m gng 2" ?

IMO, the only place where textspeak is acceptable, is in a text, where the number of characters is tightly limited.

I even edit posts that I am quoting to correct the spelling mistakes in the quoted text. Does anyone else do that?

I do, I fear! On the Another Forum, where I'm a Topic Expert [no, not hazelnuts], I mutilate others' offending posts thus:

At my youngest's parents evening, I said I thought that her spelling was poor. He said that as long as we knew what they are trying to say, that's fine. I couldn't believe it.

And you just try being called 'Jeffrey'- I'm unsure how many variant spellings I've seen...

My wife is a very intelligent person, yet some of the words she asks me to spell for her before she write's them (usually onto facebook!) astound me, and i've known her for many years.

Is that as in "writes" them, and doesn't an exclamation mark end a sentence?

:0

Spelling seems to take a back seat now for many people. There does not seem to be pride in trying to 'get it right'. In fact, a lot of people just are not bothered about even trying to spell correctly.

What I find more amazing though are errors by professional people:

There are many signs in Sheffield that direct you to the "Childrens hospital".

http://www.matalan.co.uk/ weren't quite sure whether it was Men's or Mens so they used both on their home page.

I occasionally make spelling errors that aren't picked up by a spell checker. I also make grammatical errors through ignorance. I would actually prefer to be advised about such mistakes rather than keep on making them.

Cheers

G

Spelling seems to take a back seat now for many people. There does not seem to be pride in trying to 'get it right'. In fact, a lot of people just are not bothered about even trying to spell correctly.

http://www.matalan.co.uk/ weren't quite sure whether it was Men's or Mens so they used both on their home page.

I occasionally make spelling errors that aren't picked up by a spell checker. I also make grammatical errors through ignorance. I would actually prefer to be advised about such mistakes rather than keep on making them.

Cheers

G

I'm not sure if it's the case in Sheffield, but I know some councils don't use apostrophes in street and traffic signs.

Matalans weren't quite sure whether it was Men's or Mens so they used both on their home page.

Cheers

G

You're so right. When it's a business that's paid for promotional material, I cannot understand why they don't bother to check it. I was amazed by a particular hair salon recently that used 'cut and finnish' several times in their glossy colour leaflet. I figured if they have that sort of eye for detail, I'm not letting them near my hair.

Even our local magazine 'Sixer' is full of mistakes. It's no wonder so many people get confused about spelling and punctuation if they are seeing so many errors all around.

There's a Shell (or maybe it's an Esso) garage on the way to Norfolk with a big, official, permanent sign stating "vacum", but that makes me smile; it's like 'kiddy-spell". It's in the branded type-face and everything.