Petrol pumps run over by 1p / 2p

Now heres food for thought, could it be that people are being heavy handed when returning the filler to the pump and pushing on the lever and making it go up slightly?

In 10 years of driving i have never found this a problem at any fuel station.

Me either. Sometimes I do go over by that odd 1p or 2p. But I combat that issue by thinking ahead and I have a little coin bag in my door pocket with a few 1s and 2s. Problem solved.

EVERY TIME I FILL UP AT MEADOWHEAD I FIND IT IMPOSSIBLE TO STOP AT £10 OR£20 IT ALWAYS RUNS OVER 1p OR 2p I THOUGHT IT WAS ME BUT EVERY BODY YOU ASK SEEMS TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ,MY SON FILLED HIS CAR UP AND THE SAME HAPPENED TO HIM IT RAN OVER BY 2p HE TOLD THEM ABOUT IT AND THEY TOLD HIM TO PUT £9-98 IN NEXT TIME ITS NOT A LOT OF MONEY BUT THEY MUST GET THOUSANDS OF CUSTOMERS A WEEK PETROL IS DEAR ENOUGH AS IT IS .

Well you are a bit 8888888888 if you repeat the same behaviour.

Q Mum why does my hand hurt every time I put it into a flame?

A.Because you are 8888888888

Stop at £19 or some other figure -whats the big deal with multiples of 10?

How does that explain the increase by 1 or 2 pence that sometimes magically appears after the pump has been put back and you are half way to the till.

The valve which controls the flow of fuel is in the pump nozzle. The pump nozzle is connected to the pump motor by a flexible hose (which expands slightly if the contents are under pressure.)

Assume that (and I'm making up the figures; I've no idea what the delivery pressure is) the pressure in the hose (the pressure at the nozzle) is 17psi before you open the nozzle.

You put the nozzle in the tank, press the trigger, the valve in the nozzle begins to open. The pressure in the hose drops as fuel flows into the tank. The pump motor starts to turn to increase the pressure in the hose and pump more fuel. When the pump motor starts to turn, the dials showing the quantity of fuel dispensed and the cost start to turn.

As the pressure in the hose falls when the nozzle is opened, a few ccs of 'free' fuel will be dispensed before the pump motor starts to turn. (Petrol costs about 1 penny for 7cc.)

When you release the trigger on the nozzle, the flow of fuel from the nozzle stops - but the pressure in the hose is lower than it was when you first put the nozzle in the tank, so the pump motor keeps turning (and the counters keep turning) until sufficient fuel (apparently about about 14cc) has been pumped into the hose to bring the pressure back up to 17psi.

The fuel pump may charge you for a penny or two's worth of fuel after you close the nozzle, but it didn't charge you for the first penny or two's worth when you opened it.

9 times out of 10, the petrol station attendant isn't bothered about a penny or two anyway. Most on em can't be arsed to count out a load of change so they let you off. I've been in a few lately that have a tray of coppers that you can help yourself to if you're short.

True and i think its BP that have a plate thing with 1p and 2ps in, so if you do go over, you take a penny or two out of the cup thing.

The valve which controls the flow of fuel is in the pump nozzle. The pump nozzle is connected to the pump motor by a flexible hose (which expands slightly if the contents are under pressure.)

Assume that (and I'm making up the figures; I've no idea what the delivery pressure is) the pressure in the hose (the pressure at the nozzle) is 17psi before you open the nozzle.

You put the nozzle in the tank, press the trigger, the valve in the nozzle begins to open. The pressure in the hose drops as fuel flows into the tank. The pump motor starts to turn to increase the pressure in the hose and pump more fuel. When the pump motor starts to turn, the dials showing the quantity of fuel dispensed and the cost start to turn.

As the pressure in the hose falls when the nozzle is opened, a few ccs of 'free' fuel will be dispensed before the pump motor starts to turn. (Petrol costs about 1 penny for 7cc.)

When you release the trigger on the nozzle, the flow of fuel from the nozzle stops - but the pressure in the hose is lower than it was when you first put the nozzle in the tank, so the pump motor keeps turning (and the counters keep turning) until sufficient fuel (apparently about about 14cc) has been pumped into the hose to bring the pressure back up to 17psi.

The fuel pump may charge you for a penny or two's worth of fuel after you close the nozzle, but it didn't charge you for the first penny or two's worth when you opened it.

Why didnt you just put your last paragraph? instead of the explanation huge above, its like your speaking to a ten year old.

The petrol station on Wordsworth Avenue is notorious for the pump price increasing by 1 or 2 pence in the time it takes you to walk from the pump to the cashier.

The same thing happened to me the other day at wordsworth petrol station... filled up £30 and i checked it before i got my money out of the car and by the time i had walked in to pay... it had gone up 2p.... my parents were in the car who also saw how much it was before i walked over to pay and they even heard the meter tick... :suspect: