What books do you remember from childhood?

The early days: The Peter and Jane books from Ladybird, plus a host of other hardback Ladybird books, including several fairytales (Cinderella, The Princess and the Pea, Sleeping Beauty etc); the 'pirate' early reader books (Roderick the Red and his colourful pals); Topsy and Tim; Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree, Wishing Chair, Naughtiest Girl and Amelia Jane books, as well as her nature books (I remember particularly a lovely, dusty, very old hardback copy of her 'Book of the Year').

A little later: Enid Blyton again: Famous Five, the Adventure series, Malory Towers and St Clare's; Antonia Forest's school books; Sue Barton series. ETA: the I-Spy books.

Later Still: the early books in Anne Digby's Trebizon Series; Jean Ure (A Proper Little Nooryef stands out); Judy Blume; early Jaqueline Wilson (Waiting For the Sky to Fall, Nobody's Perfect); The first few Fighting Fantasy books (The Warlock of Firetop Mountain was the first one); Adrian Mole; collections of ghost stories, collected by an editor whose name I really should remember.

Even later: James Herbert, Stephen King, Graham Masterton et al.

There's a children's book I remember from the early 80s but I just can't recall the title. It was a ghost story about a family on holiday in Ireland, where the children are haunted by a little boy (perhaps more than one child) whose family died in the Potato Famine. Any ideas about the title?

Edited by Guest

Any Enid Blyton book.

The hardy boys?!?!??

The turbulent term of Tyke Tyler.

Sherlock Holmes.

I used to read an awful lot so there are loads of books I loved. Up to being about ten or eleven SHerlock Holmes was my favourite and I had read them all several times over.

Enid Blyton just becasue we had all her books and they were very English.

Hardy boys seemed cool when I was little.

The turbulent term of Tyke Tyler - great story and as I remember an unusual reveal at the end.

We had that book at school. The other kids loved it but I hated it.

Racist :hihi:

The only 3 I can remember reading at school were, 101 Dalmations, Kes and The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. These were all read by a student teacher we had who was so enthusiastic about them....

I particularly remember the novels of Geoffrey Trease - wherever we moved to, the local children's library was always well stocked with them I recall.

There's a children's book I remember from the early 80s but I just can't recall the title. It was a ghost story about a family on holiday in Ireland, where the children are haunted by a little boy (perhaps more than one child) whose family died in the Potato Famine. Any ideas about the title?

Ann Pilling's "Black Harvest".

...Ann Pilling's "Black Harvest".

You absolute star! Thank you. Yes, that's the one. I've been trying to remember that one for ages.

I had pretty much all the Enid Blyton secret seven/ famous five books. I also used to love her "School" series, "Mallory Towers" and "St Claires". I also enjoyed the "Adventure" series.

She wrote a series of books for slightly younger readers in the vein of the secret seven and famous five, called "The Five Find-Outers And Dog". (a year or two younger than the secret seven/ famous five books) which I loved to read.

My favourite Enid Blyton book was the Ring o Bells mystery.

I loved Enid Blyton

The Folk of the faraway Tree

The Secret Seven books

The Famous Five books

The Island of Adventure

the Castle of Adventure.

I got all these from the Library. I hardly ever was given a book that was bought, until I got older and someone bought me 'Ballet shoes' by Noel Streatfield and I didn't like it so didnt read it all.

I remember the first books my Mum got me from the library. There was one about dolls escaping from a box in an attic I think.

The Big Hungry Caterpillar I also remember.

After that various Peter and Jane books at school and stuff like Little Red Hen and 3 Billy Goats Gruff (my first encounters with trolls until SF)

My first proper books were probably Wind in the Willows and The Hobbit.

I remember my teacher, in J4, reading the class a very touching book called "The Silver Sword", by Ian Serraillier.

It was set in Warsaw, during and immediately after the second-world war, and touches on refugees, and families being separated.

I said that in my last one, it was a lovely book from what I remember (which to be honest isn't that much!)

A book I read when I was about ten has always stuck in my mind (in my 50s now) It was called 'The ghost of Dibble Hollow', I read it quite a few times and always enjoyed it.