What books do you remember from childhood?

I recall a Jackanory reading of a book called "When Marnie was there" about a lonely child and a ghost or imaginary friend visiting her. I can still recall it 40 years later.

A book read by my teacher at school when I was 10 was about a cat called 'Carbonel' and his magic kingdom. It was set in post-war England and some of the references were obscure but our teacher explained them, like"sides-to-middling" where people cutworn sheets down the middle and sewed the ends together.

What books lit up your childhood?

We read some good stuff in English at School, stuff like Kes, Adrian Mole, Billy Liar etc... One of my fave books from when I was a kid though was George's Marvellous Medicine, excellent book, went to see a Stage version at the Lyceum a couple of years back.

I had some ladybird books, one was Snow white and Rose red, and also Rumplestiltskin, cant remember the others but had quite a few.

I also remember the Puddle Lane books, and I used to watch the TV show as well, even though the Dragon thingy was annoying.

I forgot my other ultimate favourite Enid Blyton one - The Faraway Tree. I think I borrowed it off a girl when I was little and she kept asking for it back and I think I might actually have kept it..:blush:

I forgot my other ultimate favourite Enid Blyton one - The Faraway Tree. I think I borrowed it off a girl when I was little and she kept asking for it back and I think I might actually have kept it..:blush:

Don't blame you, it was a good 'un that.

Same here, also catweezle :)

didnt anyone read george orwells "Animal Farm" in english? We did at norfolk school, "two legs bad, four legs good" great stuff!

didnt anyone read george orwells "Animal Farm" in english? We did at norfolk school, "two legs bad, four legs good" great stuff!

Classic, shame the film was crap.

I also remember the Puddle Lane books, and I used to watch the TV show as well, even though the Dragon thingy was annoying.

I was going to say the puddle lane books, I used to get a new one every week. I remember the excitement of getting to choose a new one more than actually reading them though lol.

I remember my teacher, in J4, reading the class a very touching book called "The Silver Sword", by Ian Serraillier.

It was set in Warsaw, during and immediately after the second-world war, and touches on refugees, and families being separated.

Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, Blake & Mortimer, Les Chevaliers du ciel, Yoko Tsuno, The 2nd world war (Dupuis) and so many more French/Belgian comics series.

Why these never took off in the UK (to the same extent as they have on the Continent), I'll never understand... good job my little one is starting to read french OK :thumbsup: