Carrying a knife

All true, except that if the knife locks then it's still an offence.

Has carrying an offensive weapon been defined in court? It should now include acid.

Funny how life has changed.

I still have my sheath knife and leather case that I used to have permanently on my belt as I attended weekly scout meetings as an 11year old.

It was bought from the scout shop in town along with a 5 feet wooden stave.

We were pretty well armed as kids,but now I’d be fined .

Not so, if it locks and you have a reasonable excuse then you are OK

You are allowed a folding pocket knife as long as the blade is less than three inches, but if it locks then the reasonable excuse applies.

Not from what I've read and understand. If it locks, then it's illegal outside the home.

Lock knives

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button

can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener

I shall update my opinion forthwith.

I was actually arrested and fined for carrying a knife, under very dodgy circumstances.

I was allowed in the local school yard at night to set up and use my telescope, in with my kit was a small sheath knife, amongst numerous lenses, rolls of film etc.

The police were out with the helicopter hunting a burglar, on searching the school grounds i was attacked by a police dog causing my scope and camera to be knocked over and damaged, around 5 or 6 other police turned up too, the dog handler seemed very apologetic, until i asked for his details as i wanted to claim for damage to my gear, soon as i mentioned it they went through my kit, found the small knife and threw me into a van.

In court i was fined £30 an was told i had no right to compensation as the items were damaged during a rightful arrest, or words to that effect.

So, do try to be nice to any officer who should question you. :suspect:

Shameful behaviour by SYP in this instance. Did they have some kind of warrant, or reasonable grounds, to carry out the search that led to them finding your knife?

Edited by Waldo

You can understand it though, well these days, my incident was about 15 years back, every kid had a pocket knife back then. :hihi:

So did you plead guilty?

Not from what I've read and understand. If it locks, then it's illegal outside the home.

You narna, Cyclone!

This was cleared up last year, in post #73 here

You narna, Cyclone!

This was cleared up last year, in post #73 here

I think I have PTSD from some jumped up G4S security people confiscating my 1.5" locking penknife and threatening to call the police.

I think I have PTSD from some jumped up G4S security people confiscating my 1.5" locking penknife and threatening to call the police.

Sorry, I meant post #79

I carry an Opinel #7 everytime i head out hiking/camping, it's razor sharp and locks. :hihi:

Luckily for me though, it's rare to see a copper up Kinder. :D

There will be one waiting next time you go up, now you have put it on here.

Angel1

I have loads of pocket knives mainly because my grandfather made them.I cannot believe that you can buy ,say an opinel number 7 or a bear grylls lock knife but you cannot actually be allowed to carry one.I have bought a hunting knife from amazon quite easily.I have used a knife at work for the last 30 plus years and have now got to use a stupid plastic safety knife which cannot cut its way through a paper bag making my work life harder for me,a sharp knife is safer than a blunt one.George Orwell predicted that we would be living in a totalitarian big brother society and he has got it spot on.

I have loads of pocket knives mainly because my grandfather made them.I cannot believe that you can buy ,say an opinel number 7 or a bear grylls lock knife but you cannot actually be allowed to carry one.I have bought a hunting knife from amazon quite easily.I have used a knife at work for the last 30 plus years and have now got to use a stupid plastic safety knife which cannot cut its way through a paper bag making my work life harder for me,a sharp knife is safer than a blunt one.George Orwell predicted that we would be living in a totalitarian big brother society and he has got it spot on.

You do realise that knife crime is a big problem?

You can see what easy access to weapons does, have a look at the US and their precious right to bear arms.

Is it unreasonable to not carry a knife when you don't have a specific reason? Should you really be taking one to the pub, or to the office, or the cinema or the supermarket?

Edited by Cyclone