Scrap men and thieves stealing scrap - Megathread

One would think that the local plod might show some interest in his stock. Sorry about that, I was thinking back to when we had a police force.

Ah but the car boot is on the boundary between Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, and I suspect he lives in neither. Too complicated.

We had the copper pipe thieves again today, broke into pipe rack on van roof...:rant: s20, Didnt get much cos dont leave much, wont leave any from now on..

Shame you couldn't have photographed him stealing your stuff!

It was a different set of thieves a month ago or so - in fact I've just spoken to a neighbour who said she confronted them cos they'd taken her garden furniture at the same time. They denied it, even though she could see some of it on the van, but they were so intimidating and she was stood there in her pyjamas that she felt she couldn't do anything. They had my stuff in their hands (which they said was scrap and that I'd said they could take it) and they said they were going anyway as soon as they got a washing machine - from my house!! When she followed them up my gennel to my back garden some other rats were trying to get my washing machine out of my outhouse but it wouldn't come because it WAS PLUMBED IN.

They do my head in - they are a parasitic epidemic, going down street after street, acting totally outside the law and sticking two fingers up to the police and everyone they steal from. I detest them.

Security mark your washing machine, get a UV pen and also scribe your postcode in somewhere out of sight, at least that way if they come back and steal it and it ends up in the hands of the police you might get it back.

seen- scrapmen - s11 hunter house road 11am this morning.

Both looking like they hadn't washed in atleast a week, yelling things at eachother and nipping in and out of gardens..

sure i saw them loading a black bmx style bike onto the back of their light blue van. It was in the ecclesfield area just up from the village. I was driving the opposite way. the speed the guy with the baseball hat came down from someones path looked well dodgy. tried to turn round to get the reg number but they were gone. big fat white guy driving it with a couple of chavs sat beside him. this was about a week ago.

Was driving along Abbeydale Road this afternoon and saw the police had pulled over a large truck full of 'scrap' - there was another one in front of me - again full of 'scrap' - well if you can call a few bikes and garden furniture and some kind of cement mixer which didn't look much like 'scrap' to me 'scrap' - who then tried to dive into a side road after they'd passed the police with the other truck, but the police spotted him and chased after him. Are the police finally doing something about this??

As has been said before there really should be a crackdown on the scrapyards who take this stuff in. Surely they know that a roadsign with a village name on it will not be scrap. Equally a new childs bike or washing machine is obviously not scrap. If you cut off the buyers then the market should drop. (Maybe not here on planet earth).

Might be nice to attach 240volts to my BBQ but I need to make sure that I can say "It was a dodgy light fitting my lord - honest"

Was driving along Abbeydale Road this afternoon and saw the police had pulled over a large truck full of 'scrap' - there was another one in front of me - again full of 'scrap' - well if you can call a few bikes and garden furniture and some kind of cement mixer which didn't look much like 'scrap' to me 'scrap' - who then tried to dive into a side road after they'd passed the police with the other truck, but the police spotted him and chased after him. Are the police finally doing something about this??

Oooh, was one of those a white flatbed?

I've got a video clip of some thieves operating in S5... I'm wondering how and where to post it.

I'm also wondering if anyone else wants to actually crack down on it... the thought has been mooted on this forum before to resounding disinterest.

The Postcode Gazette is currently running an article about this issue, specifically in the Sheffield 5 areas. I would be most grateful if you could email me on [email protected] with any information relative to the matter.

http://postcodegazette.com/url/news/beware-of-bogus-scrap-collectors--AT-shiregreen/9000072658/9000393146/

The scrap men called at mine yesterday, knocked on the door and politely asked if any of the things in my garden were scrap, including a sink and 2 mountain bikes, i'd only just woke up so answered no, which wasn't a problem, nice to be asked as they could easily have taken them.

5 minutes later, after thinking i did have quite a bit of scrap they could have, so called them back from across road and gave them the sink, a heavy lawnmower and a washer.

They aren't all bad.

The scrap men called at mine yesterday, knocked on the door and politely asked if any of the things in my garden were scrap, including a sink and 2 mountain bikes, i'd only just woke up so answered no, which wasn't a problem, nice to be asked as they could easily have taken them.

5 minutes later, after thinking i did have quite a bit of scrap they could have, so called them back from across road and gave them the sink, a heavy lawnmower and a washer.

They aren't all bad.

I know some of you will have seen me post this before but here goes.....

Unless you have seen their carriers licence, site licence where they are taking it to and been given a waste transfer note then this is illegal. You could be prosecuted.