East & West Restaurant

snoopjiggy

They need to move to somewhere bigger. The food is good but I'm sorry, you cannot call that place a restaurant. Cafe - yes. Restaurant no.

I hope the lad who owns it manages to get himself a bigger place - he seems a very nice guy and I wish him all the best.

There's the old railway station at Dore that is lying empty - and it was all kitted out as an Indian Restaurant before - he could do worse than move in there I suppose.

Read the thread. You will realise that your comment is out of date.

The move to Broomhill is more suitable than Dore if the food is going to remain as cheap as it is in the cafe because of the student population. And me!

Edited by PeteM01
simplification

Not Deli site, but on main Fulwood Road. Shop that's been empty for a while between coffee shop and optician.

I walked past there today - the address is 261-263 Fulwood Road. There is a planning application for external ductwork made by East and West (11/01958/FUL), and some objections made by residents of the flats above the property. They were unaware of the recent successful application for a change of use to a restaurant awarded on 3rd June 2010 (10/01018/FUL). It is remarkable that there were no objections by neighbours but perhaps the flats were untenanted at the time?

I wonder why they bothered to convert a new unit rather than use the existing Buon Deli premises, which must have both the planning and the hardware for a restaurant?

They are unlikely to be able to offer a delivery service, unfortunately, due to noise considerations.

2 East and Wests would be great, as they are sooo busy, everytime i've ordered food they are way behind and i've spent upto 40mins waiting in the rest for it after i'd rang up 45mins before!! It's always packed out so yes they could have 2 cafes and still do well!

Gorg food, slow service, needs a regular cleaner in the place but overall the food is very, very good!

I'd taken it that they were opening a 2nd cafe, not that they were closing the very popular and always busy Abbeydale cafe??? That is bad news - but then a similar restaurant has opened a little further up the road, so may they've taken some of their business away and it made more sense to cut their losses and move on????

Can't believe they're moving! Surely Sheffield could sustain two East & Wests? I'm hardly ever in Broomhill so doubt I'll be visiting much anymore. Good for the waistline, I suppose!

Worry not! They're not moving at all - simply opening a 2nd site so more people have the chance to eat something good :)

• 3 weeks later...

It looks as if they may not be moving to the place just down from the Post Office. There was a planning application in the window for changing the ventilation and that has now gone and there is a TO LET sign above that shop and the one next door.

Hope it doesn't mean they're not coming to Broomhill .

Read the thread. You will realise that your comment is out of date.

The move to Broomhill is more suitable than Dore if the food is going to remain as cheap as it is in the cafe because of the student population. And me!

Oy Smartypants!

I DID read the thread. I probably didn't make my point very clear for some.

What I was saying was effectively, "well, they need to move somewhere because the current premises are barely suitable".

I find it odd that they didn't announce specifically where they were moving to. Either this is a kind of teaser campaign, to test the reaction of them moving, or they've not tied down the deal on premises yet, in which case things may not be certain? (Hence my alternative suggestion).

I agree with you that if they are going to remain targeted at the budget end of the market then Broomhill would be a better choice than Dore.

I'd be interested to travel to their new place, whether its in Broomhill or somewhere else. It's not unusual for me to regularly travel within a 50 mile radius just to go to a decent restaurant - so I don't think the move to Broomhill or wherever is going to put me off. It's not exactly another continent.